Hello, I know It has been a while....

enjineerbill

Avid People Watcher
Hello Again,

Thanks to all who private messaged me and kept in touch through e-mails. Although I haven't posted in a while, I have been following from time to time and still enjoy this forum, due to the wide array of topics and helpful folks.

My life took a sidetrack for a few months(read maybe a year or two) but I am back on the main and have a new studio up and running. Along with that came a new commission from Ross Rowland and the group behind the Greenbrier Presidential Express. The prototype is set to debut in July of next year. I am painting and decaling the O scale model which Ross will present to the resorts' owner next month. It will be on display/run in the lobby of the resort.

I'll try and post more of the work being done but here are some photos of the train's progress. If you want to more about the prototype, search youtube there is a good video chronicling the concept. They also have a facebook page.

Here is the artists concept of the cars. This concept has changed a little but the scheme remains the same. It is a 15 car train; 3 baggage, 10 coaches and 2 heavyweight observations.

View attachment 27849

The cars arrived pre-painted for various roads, so they got a nice bath.
View attachment 27850

Here are some with their 'jammies' removed. WARNING: naked cars in photo.
View attachment 27851

Guards red applied, masked for Lt. Blue and green stripe.
View attachment 27852

Cheers,

Johnny

Here some more pics including the most recent. The masking on this project has been labor intensive to say the least. But the HO scale Freedom train still has it beat, lol.

Parts for baggage cars and observation vestibules done separately.
View attachment 27853

Baggage ready for gloss and decals.
View attachment 27854

One of 2 heavyweight observation cars.
View attachment 27855

All 15 after 2 coats of glosscoat.
View attachment 27856

Cheers,

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Johnny good to see you're back at it!
We'll be looking forward to seeing the cars progress...

Johnny: did you got any problems with the plastic??? I mean, how safe its for "model integrity" to brush it with the isopropyl???

Please, keep us updated with your work!

Hi Mike,

I have not to date had any problems(knocking on wood)using the alcohol bath. These O gauge cars are pretty tough and made of thicker plastic. But I do a ton of HO scale cars the same way. I used to use brake fluid but found the alcohol works the same and is less; toxic, smelly and much easier to store....

Cheers,

Johnny

Back