Hello i am getting started in ho scale

Americansteam84

HI I am relatively new to the hobby and don't have a huge amount of money to spend. Aka: no new high detail ho scale steamers for a while. But what I have spent thus far has been mostly good and worth the money. Mainly due to a local model train store that sells older model trains at good prices although I am starting to figure out why they are so cheap. But that's another thread. I use kato ho unitrack that I bought used in very good condition still in its box. The current motive power I have is mostly tyco of which I am starting to understand why it doesn't have a great reputation. I any case my collection is in need of modernization. And by that I don't mean replace all of it with newer stuff but instead fit metal axles and modern couplers to the train cars along with fixing up and if possibly upgrading my locomotives as well. Despite the issues I have had with my mostly 40+ year old model trains I have enjoyed it immensely. I hope to be relatively active and have fun. My interest in model railroading had just begun and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. My one question is. How much can a tyco super 630 pull when in peak working condition? I have been wanting to see how much mine can pull but it is currently a poor runner.

Hello and welcome to our forum. Because I have no direct experience with a Tyco Super 630, I can only guess that it could pull 6-7 cars at most. There isn't a lot that anyone can do to improve the performance of a Tyco engine. Their freight cars can be improved with metal wheels and Kadee couplers, especially if you cut off the truck mounted coupler and body-mount a Kadee coupler box at the correct height. My advice for an engine is to look for either an Athearn (not their top of the line Genesis model) or an older Atlas model for an inexpensive starter engine. Nothing will ruin the enjoyment of model trains more than a crappy engine. Most 20 year old Athearn Ready to Run units will pull 20+ cars. Some may need added weight for best performance.

Greetings and Welcome.

I have some older Tyco and Lifelike engines that I've gotten through auction purchases, but haven't really had time to run them. They were mostly in a box of stuff where I wanted something specific in the auction lot. I've got a lot of cars to fix myself, just gotta find the time.....

HI I am relatively new to the hobby and don't have a huge amount of money to spend. Aka: no new high detail ho scale steamers for a while. But what I have spent thus far has been mostly good and worth the money. Mainly due to a local model train store that sells older model trains at good prices although I am starting to figure out why they are so cheap. But that's another thread. I use kato ho unitrack that I bought used in very good condition still in its box. The current motive power I have is mostly tyco of which I am starting to understand why it doesn't have a great reputation. I any case my collection is in need of modernization. And by that I don't mean replace all of it with newer stuff but instead fit metal axles and modern couplers to the train cars along with fixing up and if possibly upgrading my locomotives as well. Despite the issues I have had with my mostly 40+ year old model trains I have enjoyed it immensely. I hope to be relatively active and have fun. My interest in model railroading had just begun and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. My one question is. How much can a tyco super 630 pull when in peak working condition? I have been wanting to see how much mine can pull but it is currently a poor runner.
My advice to you is to try and pick up a good used yellow box atlas ($50 - $75) or a blue box athearn F ($20 - $30 ) , and then buy a bulk load of athearn blue box cars ( I gotten them for less than $3 in volume ) , if look around you can get atlas NS snap track for aroun .25 - .75 cents a stick , if you buy by the bucket load. For a couple hundred bucks you can decent locomotives ,rolling stock , and track . You just need to be patient and smart about you acquisitions. 30's -70's time period is the least expensive to model , more up to date stuff you'll pay through the nose. Stick with code 100 track ( you can get turnouts for $5 or less on ebay auctions) code 83 theres less used stuff out there.

hmm, I recommend you get some older proto 2000/1000 locomotives you can find them for good prices. I once got an rs24 for only $48.99 brand
new (well from 1999 that is) you can also get lower end blue box locomotives, just anything but Tyco them things are a nightmare

Thanks for the replies. I think after I have modernized some of my rolling stock I will start phasing out and replace my tyco motive power woth similar models from other brands. Starting with my santa fe super 630. I think I will eventually replace it with a brand new bowser c&nw c628. Does anybody have experience with modern bowser locomotives? How good are they out of box?

Hello Americansteam..welcome to this place! Nice you could join. I've no experience with Tyco power but I do have a Bowser, Baldwin VO-1000. I got to run it a little bit before the layout came down. This one is DCC, a quiet, steady runner......

Back