Hello, I’m Jim from DFW Texas

TexasJim

Old but still learning
New here and to model railroading as a senior citizen. Want to do something simple in a limited space in my small shop for when grandkids come to visit. Looking to using one of the smaller steam locomotives in HO. Hands suffer from arthritis so I don’t view N scale as an option. All starting advice welcome.

Hi Jim, I'm in DFW too. My grandkids are all graduated or still in college. I have great memories of fun running trains with them at Christmas. I love working on my ancient HO models that date back to the 60s thru 80s - I got into HO in 1962. However, I recommend you take a look at On30 for a small layout to run with Grandkids. On30 is O scale but it is narrow gauge at 30 inch track gauge so it runs on HO track. I fell into On30 by accident as one of our daughters found a loco at an estate sale for 50 cents 2 years ago. On30 fascinates me which lead me to rebuild and upgrade the loco and getting 2 passenger cars and 7 freight cars on eBay. I am a few months away from my 80th year and I see On30 as a perfect match for my bad eyes and hands. I have no layout but I have a simple plan to build for my On30. Regards, Steve

Hello Jim. Welcome aboard from a fellow North Central Texan. Good choice in starting with HO as it is the most readily available scale. At 69, I can see and work on it very well. If you don't already know about Discount Model Railroads up in Addison, they're a great model railroad shop, and as the name suggests, everything is discounted.
Ask away with your questions, as the only dumb one is the one that you don't ask. Come visit us in the Coffee Shop for some mindless chatter and get to know some forum members better.

Greetings and welcome Jim.

While not in Texas, I'm in the Wichita, KS (Doo-Dah to us locals) area. While I'm 10 years junior to Willie, N-scale I have for the grandson is too small for me as well. I am strictly a DC (old style) railroader, while others are DCC (computerized) railroaders. In my case, I'm working on computers and computer systems every day (Network Administrator by trade), so I do find working on technology relaxing as a hobby.

Come join us in the coffee shop as you can. Flo, Francine and Mel will take care of you.

Back