Hello from WI

flh80

Hi,
I've been modeling and collecting for about 20 yrs. I'm into HO, old Soo to be specific, from around 1960 era. I'm currently buiding my layout, going slow, I started it in '03 and just now begining to wire it up. Many a setbacks through the years that held things up, although I would do modeling at my desk and work on stuff. I'm still using DC (MRC 20's), I like Diesels (many of them older) and have too many loco's to install DCC, I'd go broke buying the decoders, I'd rather get structures etc to finish the layout..

Bill

Bill - Welcome to the forums from just south of you. Friendly group here no nit picking and an honest respect for everyone's work. We love to see pictures so please post. My own layout 'borrows' Wisconsin place names (Neenah) but I make no attempt at actually modeling them.

Bill - Welcome to the forums from just south of you. Friendly group here no nit picking and an honest respect for everyone's work. We love to see pictures so please post. My own layout 'borrows' Wisconsin place names (Neenah) but I make no attempt at actually modeling them.
Hi gary, we used to go to DuPage a lot, lot of good stuff years back.

Someone else from Wisconsin. I'm in the Fond Du Lac area of Wisconsin myself!

Hey Chem, I'm in Oshkosh.

Hey! Welcome to the forum! It seems we have a Wisconsin club here, let me be the next to join! I'm from the Green Bay area (Go Pack Go!). My layout is/will be based on locations from Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Enjoy the forum!

Greetings!

I'm a CNW N-scale guy in Green Bay having relocated from Sheboygan in April of last year. Welcome to the forum. Lots of good stuff on here.

Well, all I can offer is that I lived in La Crosse for eight years.:) That's close enough I suppose. Now I live two and a half hours from the border. Far enough away to not have to listen to the Packers fans CONSTANTLY talk trash about the Vikings. :p Welcome to the forum.

Welcome aboard! Nice to have another member from my "home region" even if I grew up in Upper Michigan....

Guess I need to be added to the roster. Born in Tomahawk, grew up in Minocqua 'till age 12, moved to Beloit in '58, after 4 yrs army ('65-'69) lived in Janesville. Got married and lived in Milwaukee, then on to Wausau, Nashota, Platteville, finally Saxon. Now living in Georgia since '81. Still a die hard Packer fan so the beating they gave the Falcons was a treat.

Modeling Milwaukee Road of different eras up to '50's. Lived in sight of the MILW depot in Minocqua and saw the last of the steamers.

Hey back to all you's guys, Welcome too, I'm in Oshkosh.
Looking forwar to the swaps and shows coming up soon, Madson in Feb, Appleton in Mar, I think Green Bay in Apr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I've been modeling and collecting for about 20 yrs. I'm into HO, old Soo to be specific, from around 1960 era. I'm currently buiding my layout, going slow, I started it in '03 and just now begining to wire it up. Many a setbacks through the years that held things up, although I would do modeling at my desk and work on stuff. I'm still using DC (MRC 20's), I like Diesels (many of them older) and have too many loco's to install DCC, I'd go broke buying the decoders, I'd rather get structures etc to finish the layout..

Bill

Hi Bill and Welcome to the forum!

I'm in HO also and have been in the same situation as yourself in several ways. I started my current layout in mid to late 1989 if I remember correctly so you can see it's been very slow go for me too. I'm also using just DC which suits me just fine as I'm only going to be running one or two steam loco's in one train at a time anyway and it will only be me operating anyway 99% of the time. Another good friend is also just DC too and he says a club he used to belong to in Washington out West also shyed away from anything but DC. I'm not sure if you know or not but, 'Aristo Craft', makes a wireless radio controlled hand throttle, their 'Basic Train-Engineer ART-5480', to adjust the direction and speed of the Loco's and it works right through the rails like any other power pack so the only instillation is the little sending unit installed between the transformer and the track and that's it. I really enjoy mine as it lets me move around the layout while operating just as though your in the cab. It also has built in Momentum and realistic breaking too. Plus it has an emergency stop button to it. It's a great addition and not too costly, I got mine from MB Klien but others may have it too? Oh, it does require a Nine volt battery so I bought a rechargeable.

As far as my layout your doing the same thing I did in that I've made a number
of changes and revisions as I've been going along as once you get to actually laying track things often turn out quiite differently than they were on paper. This is probably the third layout I've built over the past 55 years with a lot of reading to get a better idea of what I wanted so I have a lot of prior knowledge to draw on.

Good to have you as a forum member, it's a great group here. I look forward to talking with you more.

Hello Trussrod,
this is also my third layout. Only because of moving to new houses through the years. The basic theme and time has stayed the same I've got mainly 1st generation Diesels and some 2nd gen. I have a mix of power, a lot of old Athearns along with Atlas, Proto's, Stewarts. Then I run like stuff together for compatability. I've got about 80 or so loco's all powered and plan to use (I like engines), most I custom Painted, like I said earlier, I'd go broke installing Decoders. In recent years I sold off ones I knew I wouldn't use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back