Hello from Pennsylvania

Michael J

New model railroader
Hello! I am from northeast Pennsylvania USA. Even though I am 53 years old, I am a beginner in model railroading. My cousin and her husband had been members of a club in another county, and recently started a club here, so I decided to join and have found it to be so much fun.

Mostly I work on the club layout, which is still in its infancy. I also just purchased my first locomotive: a New Haven F7 unit, found in a thrift shop for $5.

I look forward to learning from more experienced modelers, both in the club and here. I would also like to share information about our new club as it develops.

Welcome to the forums, Micheal. Better late, than never to start model railroading! This is a great site for model railroading..............lots of friendly, talented and knowledgeable folks who can help you get started. I'm sure you'll have a lot of questions, feel free to ask. There's nobody here that will bite your head off, unlike some other sites. Keep us posted on the club's progress.

Thanks for the welcome.

In January, some members of the EMMRRC are planning to visit a couple of other clubs as they wrap up their holiday open house seasons. I am looking forward to getting some ideas, and perhaps purchasing some equipment.

Anyone have advice about buying equipment at a low price? At this point, I have no interest in purchasing high-end stuff. Quantity, not quality, is a greater priority. (Of course, I don't want junk, though. But I love my $5 F7!) It doesn't matter if it is mix-and-match.

I also have some artistic talent, so someday I may decide to re-work my stock to match. I will be looking for painting / detailing tips then. For now, I don't mind having a UP steamer pulling PRR coaches, a mixed freight consist and a BNSF caboose. I know some would object, but it's my train, right?

I am still browsing around the forums to see where everything is, so I might be putting these questions in the wrong place. If so, please re-direct me.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum Michael,
Glad to hear you've decided to get involved in the hobby, it is a great adventure and learning experience.

There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here so enjoy yourself.

Thank you Trussrod.

Because of my tiny living space, having my own layout is impossible right now. So I am concentrating my efforts on working with the club, both with its modular layout that travels to shows, and eventually with its permanent layout. I think that I enjoy it more as a group activity than on my own.

Besides, being part of a brand-new club means there are no established designs or procedures, and my input is welcome (as is my labor).

Thanks, Tomustang!

A group of us from the EMMRRC will be in your area on Jan 6 to visit the Lehigh & Keystone Valley open house. Maybe I will run into you.

Hello and welcome from southern California. This is the best place to find information and share with others. Glad you found us and hope you have fun.

Back