Hello from New Jersey

Gregjl

Hello All, Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a fan of trains my whole life I guess you could say, growing up in No. Jersey, specifically Newark. We couldn't walk more than a couple blocks without crossing tracks. And with that there's walking on tracks, hanging out on them. I've always liked layouts and wanted to see how I do with one. I am starting with a digital commander set, I read somewhere that was a good place to start. This can be a messy hobby huh? Between cutting foam and ballasting track. Well anyway, Hello All!

Greg

Hey Greg!

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you onboard!

As a city boy from Baltimore I know what you mean about being surrounded by trains all your life.

Is that a Bachmann set with a DCC controller? Which set did you start with? It does not really matter how you start. This hobby has a way of leading you to place you did not expect. I like to say "just get started!"

My hobby is not messy, I don't do any of those things.

The beauty of this hobby is you can enjoy it any way you like. You are the CEO of your railroad, run it any way you like.

Tell us more about your trains, we enjoy hearing it. Post some pictures if you can, we enjoy those too.

Stop by the coffee shop and say hello, you found a great bunch of modelers and even better group of people.

Greg - Welcome aboard. Sorry that I missed this post Sunday. Ditto everything that Louis already posted. I wasn't surrounded by trains where I grew up in the Bay Ridge neighborhood of Brooklyn, just across the river, but I can remember that city life.

Willie

Welcome aboard Greg. Welcome.gif Model railroading is a great hobby. Like Louis mentioned, it's your railroad and you can move along at your own pace and enjoy running trains. I was lucky when I was growing up having relatives working on the railroad and was able to have spent many hours riding on trains. I was hooked big time on trains.

Hello All, Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a fan of trains my whole life I guess you could say, growing up in No. Jersey, specifically Newark. We couldn't walk more than a couple blocks without crossing tracks. And with that there's walking on tracks, hanging out on them. I've always liked layouts and wanted to see how I do with one. I am starting with a digital commander set, I read somewhere that was a good place to start. This can be a messy hobby huh? Between cutting foam and ballasting track. Well anyway, Hello All!

Greg

Welcome to the forums Greg and to the hobby. If you are new to the hobby, as you suggest, then you are in for the trip of your life.

If you don't drink now - you will!
If you don't have ulcers now - you will!
If you never used a profanity in your life before - you will!
If you never experienced anxiety before - you will!

In fact, you are about to experience a multitude of new sensations that you have, or may not have, experienced before BUT, I don't think there is one person here who would not go through it all again for the enjoyment and the satisfaction and the fun of having a layout!

The MOST important thing to do (as a new guy in the hobby) is to suck our brains for as much information as possible, in other words ask questions (NO such thing as a stupid, dumb question either) lots of them and plan things out. There is so much experience and knowledge here that you will get the info and answers you need. All YOU have to do is ask.

Once again, welcome and hope you enjoy your new "job" :)

Thanks everyone! Yes, it is a Bachmann dcc. Digital commander set. It came with 2 locos (emd gp40 and ft-a), boxcar,hopper and caboose. But no sound, bummer. The caboose had no Windows and was a little shiny (last week) I gave it lexan Windows (from the inside) and some flat black for the roof and front/ rear decks. Also a once over with a dusty rag. I'd like everything to be as realistic as possible. Weathering skills will improve with practice. And pics will follow when I know the routine, 3rd party site? Etc.

Greg

Great, I have the same set! it's maybe the best value in trains! You will probably out grow the basic DCC controller that came with it, but it's a great way to start. I still use mine, but my primary focus is O gauge.

You sound like you are well on your way to being a top shelf modeler.

In my world all of my trains are fresh from the paint shop or wash bay. I have no artistic skill, but I love my trains!

You can copy and paste pictures right into the reply box or upload them using the icon on top the reply box (4th from the right) You will figure all this out I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing your hobby with us!

PS my hobby has been completely stress free. I do my best and let God worry about the rest.

What a coincidence, there's also a Lionel o gauge. About 48 yrs old, dc, 4-4-2 with a number of 8204 on the side. Recently given back to me and put around the tree last Christmas. That might have had something to do with getting into this as a hobby. O gauge is for around the tree only as I don't have that kind of room for a layout. You have to see THAT controller, I think it's all unbreakable. What do you think of the ez track? I'm looking forward to laying my own track someday.

I love EZ-track! The nickel/silver that came with our set is fantastic! I had my first experience with EZ track in a 2004 Coca-Cola Christmas train set from Athearn. I used it for 8 years under the tree every Christmas and never cleaned it, other then to dust it off. It ran flawlessly until the locomotive was screaming from lack of lubricant. It worked out well because my daughter bought me a Polar Express set and that got rekindled my desire for Lionel and that kicked off me train fever.

I am a big fan of sectional track with road bed. I use Lionel's FastTrack for my O gauge.

Lionel is still building robust transformers. Which one do you have?

I believe that Lionel 4-4-2 you have would be a C&O locomotive 6-8204 from 1972. Early MPC era Lionel can be hard to identify because when MPC bought the bankrupt Lionel they used anything and everything when assembling sets. It's all good stuff and probably built from left over post war parts. That was the era of "Big Rugged Trains" Some collectors go nuts over that stuff. When you try to value that stuff throw away the book, it's a matter of how much someone is willing to pay. If I have your locomotive right it is $55 in the book, but they sell for $100 or more.

Thanks for the info about the train, 72`sounds about right. it'll never be for sale though. As for the controller it's a big blue one, Lionel, made in the U.S.A., in Mt. Clemens Mich. To be exact. It says multivolt toy transformer. (Doesn't transform toys that I know of). I am a fan of steam locos too.

Back