Hello from England

John Davies

Good evening everyone. I found this forum quite by accident, looking to see what I could find on an old Chuck Yungkurf article regarding the Bellefonte & Snowshoe Railroad. Imagine my delight in finding a thread extolling the Model Railroader magazine from the 1950's, of which I have a good many. Nice to find so many kindred spirits out there. Personally speaking I like the MR and RMC from the 50's and 60's best - so many creative articles establishing now familiar techniques, and so many d-i-y projects using simple, readily available materials. I'm something of a lone wolf modeler, as my passion is building my own stuff from wood, card and brass - and there aren't too many of us still doing it over here either.

I've been lucky, I got a huge load of said magazines from a second hand bookshop in Hay on Wye a few years back - they had some 1940's magazines too, which I wish I'd bought more of. The MR website subscription fee is more than my conscience will permit - the exchange rate is pretty steep over here. Be content and enjoy what I've got! And no, it's better not to count how many magazines I have. Let's just say I actually haven't got a copy of every single model railway magazine ever published - it just seems that way.

Shall I say that I have a profoundly catholic interest in steam driven machinery, railways in particular and leave it at that? Otherwise this will be a very long missive. I love the American railroads from their inception through to about 1928 - and old American locomotive models. In the last year I've acquired some veteran Varney, Aristocraft and Roundhouse locos which needed a bit of cleaning and lubrication, one or two perished wires replaced and some slight adjustments, and they run as well as when new. Their particular appeal is the robust solidity and reliability built into them. Can't beat it. You just have to be careful with Aristocraft, as they can suffer with casting fatigue.

Looking forward to hearing from you all

John

Welcome aboard John. Always good to get another member from across the pond. As Gary posted, show us some pictures, we really love them here. Check out the Coffee Shop if you have time and get to know some of us better. We recently got another new member from the motherland named Rich, goes by GEfan here. We don't talk politics or religion there, but anything else is a go.

Glad to have you here, JOHN!
I have mostly complete sets of MR and RMC from the 60's, 70's, and half the 80's.
I should get back to scratch building freight cars (what I really liked to do), but I have become lazy.
I still read my older magazines daily!
Enjoy the forum.

Back