Queensland Rail locomotives do display an obvious superiority. I'm quite the fan of railways in Tasmania. I'd love to see passenger operations restarted, though, if I'm honest, I was never a real fan of those articulated coaches. That's definitely one thing I wouldn't revive!!

I still see one of that type of loco pulling the short Stainless steel coaches (50' I think) out of Caboolture station on their journey north and then west quite often.

I still see one of that type of loco pulling the short Stainless steel coaches (50' I think) out of Caboolture station on their journey north and then west quite often.

That could be either the Tiltlander (the Tilt Train replacement operating with usually a 2100, 2150, 2300, 2350 or 2400 class loco and 'Lander' coaches, usually only 3 or 4 in tow), or the Spirit of the Outback.

Here's a couple of photos I took in 2010 of the Spirit of the Outback for you guys to go nuts over, especially you North Americans. Apparently railway companies that operate both passenger and freight trains are something of a novelty? :p

oizuz6.jpg

2e2kuw2.jpg

The Spirit of the Outback is a trip that everyone should do in their lifetime. Though it was much more adventurous when the M Series coaches were still in operation!!

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's the Spirit of the Outback, now the only standard coach train running still. Brisbane to Rockhampton and then west to Longreach, the home of the Stockman's Hall of Fame and birthplace of QANTAS. Anyone from the north American continent know what the initials are an acronym of? Should ban Capt Weems from answering this one. (unless he doesn't know either) and no asking Google or Bing, or John Travolta.

The only other passenger services are the Brisbane suburban electric and the Brisbane to Rockhampton electric "Tilt train" and the same to Cairns in north Qld, only Diesel powered, all the freight operations were sold to private enterprise (Aurizon), previously known as QR National.

The Electric Tilt Train in it's latest livery
9861.1063069980.jpg

and the Diesel powered (power car at each end), painted in the indigenous art scheme

110509_tiltjpg.aspx

And the latest versions of the suburban MU's. These are sets of 3 cars with drivers cabs at each end, but often run in double form i.e. 6 unit.

100E1919.jpg

And the latest versions of the suburban MU's. These are sets of 3 cars with drivers cabs at each end, but often run in double form i.e. 6 unit.
(photo removed)

Not entirely true with the introduction of the NGRs, Tootnkumin. Did you also know that the power cars on the Diesel Tilt Trains are actually Diesel Hydraulic? Queensland Rail didn't opt for diesel electric when they were manufactured along with Mary Poppins in Maryborough. My inside sources have also previously informed me that the power cars are notorious for breaking down.

Still, the greatest delay from faulty rolling stock I ever experienced was the first time I rode the Sunlander in February 2012. It took the poor old thing 16 hours to travel from Brisbane to Bundaberg. We crawled into Townsville at 11pm on the second day, 14 and a half hours late!! Queensland Rail terminated the service and paid for all 8 of us Queenslander Class passengers to stay in a hotel that night, and fly to Cairns the following morning. Economy and First Class passengers were put on buses that night. There simply wasn't enough time left to run the train to Cairns, otherwise the southbound train would have been delayed too.

Mitch

Didn't think any of the 6 car New Generation units were in service yet, maybe doing trials? Illustrations indicate they have a streamlined front akin to the Tilt Trains profile. Will have to ask some of the QR guys at AMRA if they've seen one. Didn't know the diesel Tilts used a hydraulic drive.

Just as a note, the RMCQ club has it's monthly meeting this Saturday arvo (9th). The N scale group are having their second meeting at 11:00am to discuss the proposals for their new layout if you are interested. There is usually some train running before and after the meetings.

Thanks man!! I'll have to give it some thought!! :D

Regarding the NGRs, the first units have arrived from India and are currently undergoing testing. I'm yet to see one as they're stored out the other side of Ipswich, and I don't think they've come to the North Side yet. I have seen a test train on the Moreton Bay Rail Link, though. I think I heard a couple today too - I live only about a kilometre from the new line.

Mitch

I'm only 3 streets away from the main north line and about a kilometer north of the station, not far from the McKean St crossing. Funny thing is, unless the wind is from the SW or W, hardly hear the trains. The unusual crossing signals often are more noticeable.

I'm only 3 streets away from the main north line and about a kilometer north of the station, not far from the McKean St crossing. Funny thing is, unless the wind is from the SW or W, hardly hear the trains. The unusual crossing signals often are more noticeable.

Oh nice! I'm at Rothwell.

G'day Toot...They call them QR Class down here..I think we bought a few ..I know that all the Z Class were ex-Queensland and most have only been retired in the past decade or so...As far as I know these later ones I think they're called 1550's are still in QR colours but with Tasrail logo...I really like them..There;s a company called Wuiske that model them in HO..sadly not with Tasrall logos..I emailed them to find out. Yep , there is definitely a huge rivalry with NSW with the State of Origin R/L Wish we still had it in the AFL .Cheers Rod

From other forums I belong to Australia seems to have quite a few MRR's, very well represented indeed.

It would be nice if it was an equal balance across the scales through, Tom. Almost everything is HO, or HOn3.5 for narrow gauge because approximately 35% of Australia's railways are 1067mm, or 3ft 6in gauge correct as of 2014 (the other 65% or so being Standard, Broad (5ft 3in), and other types of Narrow (2ft and 2ft 6in). The trend started here in Queensland, which was actually the first place in the entire world to adopt a narrow gauge for a mainline railway network. Ultimately it came down to cost, and a narrow gauge using 30lbs rail with an extremely light loading gauge was all the government could afford at the time. Some lines were even built without ballast.

Unfortunately the range and quality of items available in N Scale are expensive, come in kit form, or are of average quality. This was what led me to model the BNSF instead. I hope this changes one day, though.

Mitch

Back