Hello from Birmingham, Alabama

gseritt

Hey all,

I've been lurking around for a while and finally brought myself to joining the site today. About to start my first layout and looking forward to learning all that I can.

Welcome to the forum. Birmingham is a hotbed of good model railroading. Depending on where in the area you live, there are a number of good hobby shops and at least one really good club where you can meet other modelers and learn.

Welcome to the forum. Birmingham is a hotbed of good model railroading. Depending on where in the area you live, there are a number of good hobby shops and at least one really good club where you can meet other modelers and learn.

Hey, Thanks so much! We do have a lot of train history and few great hobby shops in the area. There's one club very close, that I know of (the Wrecking Crew), and I'm hoping to attend some meetings soon.

Good for you. That's the group I was thinking about. I know most of them, and was a member there for about 10 years. They'll teach you well!

Good for you. That's the group I was thinking about. I know most of them, and was a member there for about 10 years. They'll teach you well!

Good deal! I've always been infatuated with trains (I have a very small collection of train memorabilia that I've collected through the years) but didn't know much about the modeling world. It was the Wrecking Crew's layout at the local Science Center that inspired me to get going with it. Really nice guys that do amazing work.

Welcome. Birmingham (area - Hueytown) here as well. There's at least one other member on here who is also in Birmingham.

Welcome! I'm not from Birmingham myself, but I have relatives in Pell City and my family visits them every few years. I've hung out with at least 5 different members of this forum on different occasions while I was there. Great bunch of folks!

Welcome! I'm not from Birmingham myself, but I have relatives in Pell City and my family visits them every few years. I've hung out with at least 5 different members of this forum on different occasions while I was there. Great bunch of folks!

Thanks so much for the welcome! Pell City is about 40 miles from my house. Not far at all.

What part of Hueytown are you in? I'm in North Highlands. What scale do you model? I'm N-scale.Also a former member of The Wrecking Crew.

Smack dab in the middle of Hueytown, off of Brooklane by the little league ball park. Are you the guy CJ comes over to help out with the N Scale layout?

I model HO, though I only have a 4x8 layout since it is my first layout and that's all I've got room for in my shed. Still have my "rookie stripes" :)

Evening Napa 15. I live about 5 to 6 miles up US 31 in Vestavia Hills. I am primarily HO, and the roads that I model are, L&N,Southern,Frisco,GM&0,a bit of Seaboard System,Seaboard Airline,and WofA. I am a member of the Wrecking Crew, and I also do a bit of railfanning photography. My name is William. Welcome aboard.:cool:.

@H&ORR: I "met" CJ through the Bachmann forum. Then I met him in person here in Birmingham and have been to his house a few times, where he has been a huge help to me with several "noob" things. And he's mentioned helping a guy out with his N-Scale layout in Hueytown... so I thought that might be you. :)

@L&N Castle: I work on 280, right next to The Summit.. so not too far from where you are. Since you're a member of The Wrecking Crew I would assume you know CJ as well. If I had more time I'd like to become a member, but I just don't have the time... especially since they meet on Monday nights.

@gseritt: I know there there are some of these guys that go over to Irondale to railfan over there quite frequently. I have never been but definitely want to go.

BTW - my name is Chuck.

... I know there there are some of these guys that go over to Irondale to railfan over there quite frequently. I have never been but definitely want to go. ...
Even I have eaten Fried Green Tomatoes at the Irondale Cafe, and I'm not a 'Bama native!:D Great food, great railfanning! (btw it was CJ who took me there)

@H&ORR:

@gseritt: I know there there are some of these guys that go over to Irondale to railfan over there quite frequently. I have never been but definitely want to go.

BTW - my name is Chuck.

Mr. Chuck let me know when you want to go and I'll meet you over there if I can break free. I work 6 miles from the Cafe. It has some great food / views and so does the Helena Depot Deli & Grill! Check out their website: http://www.helenadepot.com/history/

and definitely go get yourself a burger if you ever get down that way.

gseritt;

Drop me a line and we'll get together and get acquainted. You can check out what's growing in my basement by clicking the link in my sig.

BTW I live in Hoover.

Even I have eaten Fried Green Tomatoes at the Irondale Cafe, and I'm not a 'Bama native!:D Great food, great railfanning! (btw it was CJ who took me there)

Sure is good to be able to enjoy absolutely some of the best restaurant food AND to be able to watch the trains come in and out of Norris Yard there.

Back