Hello from a Newbe

Welcome! Lots of BNSF there. UP is a little West of ya though. Good UP in the canyon from the 80/84 split toward Ogden. Have seen multiple trains every time I have been up/down that hiway segment. I actually want to get pix of the dam/power and area West of MM92 - Devils Gate. Has an OLD building and associated structures that could be interesting to selective model.

Welcome! Lots of BNSF there. UP is a little West of ya though. Good UP in the canyon from the 80/84 split toward Ogden. Have seen multiple trains every time I have been up/down that hiway segment. I actually want to get pix of the dam/power and area West of MM92 - Devils Gate. Has an OLD building and associated structures that could be interesting to selective model.
Green River is a crew change point for the Union Pacific with a large yard and engine servicing facility. My Son used to work there for the UP as a Carman in the Car Repair Shop. BNSF is quite a ways away from there.

Boy, I stand corrected! Street view using Google Maps does indeed show a bunch of Yellow! Now I need to find where BNSF comes back into play along I80 just for giggles and grins. Have never seen BNSF in the I84 canyon so I suspect there is no shared trackage. Still want pix of the Devils Gate dam and power building. Will get there again sometime this summer - hopefully.

Boy, I stand corrected! Street view using Google Maps does indeed show a bunch of Yellow! Now I need to find where BNSF comes back into play along I80 just for giggles and grins. Have never seen BNSF in the I84 canyon so I suspect there is no shared trackage. Still want pix of the Devils Gate dam and power building. Will get there again sometime this summer - hopefully.
The BNSF crosses I-80 (North to South) at Cheyenne, Wyoming. They go from their mainlines in Montana to the Coal fields of North Eastern Wyoming to Denver.

UPDATE: Well, we finally made it to Green River, Wyoming. Bought a house here and moved in this past January. Love being back in Wyoming and in UP Country. If there are any other Modelers or Railfans in the area, please let me know and send me a note. Would really like to get together with you.

You will have a lot of room for a large layout then.

If your intention is to model UP then can I suggest you find a section of their route that interests you then compress that for your layout and the room available.

The other option (that I can think of) is to create a route/track plan that is fictitious BUT encompasses everything you want in a layout - bridges, tunnels, mountains etc etc etc and make that a NEW UP route. If that is the way you might want to go, then you need to decide what it is you want for your layout and we can work around that for the design of the track plan.

You will have a lot of room for a large layout then.

If your intention is to model UP then can I suggest you find a section of their route that interests you then compress that for your layout and the room available.

The other option (that I can think of) is to create a route/track plan that is fictitious BUT encompasses everything you want in a layout - bridges, tunnels, mountains etc etc etc and make that a NEW UP route. If that is the way you might want to go, then you need to decide what it is you want for your layout and we can work around that for the design of the track plan.
The room I have available is approx. 11' x 12'. I am thinking about doing a fictious section of the UP so I don't have to be so accurate about it and can just relax and have fun with it. I don't want any tunnels and they can be hard to keep Maintenace up in them and access. I would like to have a around the walls layout but would have to have either lift up section or removable bridges to enter it. Do Not want a duck-under, I'm not 20 years old anymore, LOL. I have a design program called "AnyRails" and it seems to work pretty good so far. Still trying to get the hang of it!

The room I have set up as a shop area is working out pretty good so far. Have it all organized and paint booth set-up to. Here is a couple pictures of it. The flooring will be changed out very soon! Hate the shag 1970's carpet! LOL
IMG_20230525_133149425.jpg
IMG_20230525_133208420.jpg
IMG_20230525_133231390.jpg

Last edited:

Back