Helix Building for N Scale - the method can also be used for HO Scale

Perhaps. I do some things DIY, but not everything. Going this route is going to save me time and my wife has even encouraged me. :D
We have no prior modelling skills so it's all done by research, trial and error. It is time consuming as we both still work and don't actually retire until July next year. But we're having great fun and learning new skills ⚒ ⚡🏛 🔧

It's now time to update this thread. Joining the Helices.

Bridging Units with Trains.JPG

A couple of weeks ago I finished wiring the Station House ready for the track and accessories. The 2 helices had their own wiring loom so I was putting off wiring the Station House but they are now “plugged in” to the full loom and in front of a custom made backdrop image set of mountains. The May Bank Holiday (UK) was the 1st time that we had sufficient time to test it all out.

The main effect that we wanted, was to see the trains “float” in front of the mountains, between the 2 helices. Haven’t totally achieved that but think it still looks quite good. The reflections that you see are from the light through the front windows.

We took some video footage…

Three trains crossing the divide:

The video footage is taken from an angle to feature the upper bridging unit:

You will see 2 trains running around the left helix and one of them crossing the upper bridge to the right helix:

…now we have to build the front bridging unit. This will be a plywood piece as there are 4 tracks to encompass and we can make in into a mini featurette (somehow 😉).

I have attached a pdf of our work, hope you enjoy the read.

Attachments

• Joining the Helices.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 238

Back