Heavy Duty DCC Controllers for O-Scale Locos.

Brakeman Hal

I'd like to get a DCC Controller for running my four 0-Scale diesel and steam engines. My 3 MTH locos have a switch for DCS/DCC and the Atlas is a dual-mode DC/DCC engine.

My old Analog DC MRC controller has a seperate Ammeter and Voltmeter which I like, but it's not compatible with DCC decoders.

002.JPG

Last edited:
10 amperes without a booster is fine, as I run only one engine at a time on my O-Scale 2-Rail layout.

Thanks, wvg_ca...can you recommend any particular unit?

(Bakersfield Limited due at the junction soon...I can hear her whistle now!)

Hal

Last edited:
unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with a ten amp system, but I know of two available ...
first is the Nec 10 amp [PH-10] system, and the second is the MRC Prodigy Pro Elite 10 amp, I don't know very much about either of them, but I do have a MRC Prodigy 3.5 amp system for HO, and [if I needed a second one] I would buy that one again..
I like that it has pretty much every command on the back side of the handset, and you also can get a wireless option, even later on ..

Hey wvg_ca, I checked out those controllers you mentioned on Amazon, and they come with the main unit and a hand-held unit. I prefer a controller that consists of a single box with the controls on it. I don't like hand-held controls.

I checked out the current draw from my Atlas O-Scale GP-35, and pulling the full freight train up my 2% grade at full throttle, it draws less than 1.5 amps from my old analog DC controller.

So I think I can get by with a simple DCC controller in a single unit.
Thanks,
Brakeman Hal
013.JPG

OK, HAL, what did I miss? Is there a CB Box, window frame, or A/C to contend with? ;)
You have to have a downgrade somewhere to join up with the other end. :)

I checked out the Stall Current on my Atlas O-Scale 2-Rail GP 35 Diesel Loco...it's 4.80 amps.

So what single-unit table top controller with 5 amp strength would you recommend?

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal

Last edited:

Back