Headlights not coming on

1943Mike

I installed two TCS CN decoders into two N scale Atlas (Kato manufactured) U25B's a month and a half ago. They both ran fine - albeit slightly noisy at higher speeds but acceptable. They both responded to the throttle command to turn the headlights on using my NCE Power Cab. Yesterday (I had them running in a consist pulling 16 cars) the headlights on both stopped working. I went through an hour's worth of trying to get them back to working but no joy. I reset the decoders and reprogrammed each one. Still, no luck. I've cleaned the wheels and track. Still no headlights.

Any clues/suggestions?

Mike

I'm not familiar with these decoders, or the NCE power Cab, so I'm no help,I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more helpful troubleshooting tips.

Did ya try banging the locos on the edge of the table?
I've had trouble recently with TCS decoders not doing what they have been supposed to be doing over the past decade. Wouldn't be surprised if the F0 function gave up.

At last resort, there is the drop kick method.

First try dropping it about a foot. If that doesn't work, drop and kick with the foot.

On a more serious note, electronics can be frustrating. I would listen to Ken above.

Dave

Take them out of the consist if they're in one, perform resets, and then make sure you are performing the correct configuration for consists with lights.

Or, the output function at the decoder is N/S, or the light board is damaged, or the LED is broken. That's all I can think off. You can check voltage across the outputs.

The CN decoders can give problems, just from the nature of how they are installed. If they are within the warranty period, contact TCS, and see if they have any suggestions, or if they'll want you to send them in for exchange.

Back