Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

My motivation is back and it feels great. I've been working on my tunnel and mountain in the mining area. I used foam for the foundation and then covered it with plaster cloth to create the form. I am now using Sculptamold to cover the cloth and create the shape. I will be doing the rock work afterwards.

IMG_4484.JPG

IMG_4485.JPG

IMG_4487.JPG

IMG_4488.JPG

Now, I need to finish the sculpamold, then add plaster rocks from a mold before I get into the painting.

The comment was made very much tongue in cheek, I doubt I will ever be able to achieve the level of realism you have, hence it made me "depressed".:D
Sound like me when I started. When I started 7 years ago, I didn't know squat about this hobby and even less about trains. Got lots of answers from this forum, Facebook groups, NMRA and spending 2-3 hours a night, looking at pictures and videos. Most of the stuff I do is from pictures I try to replicate.

What a very productive day. When you are no longer in your 30's, you really, really appreciate a friend that offers to help with the fascia. He's been telling me for years that I should do the fascia before scenery, well here's a very good advice to you all, "Do the fascia before the scenery". We have completed 2/3 of the layout.

IMG_E4493.JPG

IMG_E4494.JPG

IMG_E4495.JPG

Work on the quarry is ongoing. This is my spring section of the layout and the grass is growing. I've been working on a little maintenance garage, the gravel ground, and the main building.
For the main building, I decided to give myself some hard work by installing sheets of metal on the walls instead of weathering the building. The building will then be weathered to tone it down a bit.
Still lots more to do in this location, but it's getting there.

IMG_A4562.jpg

Not much to show for when all you do is paint ties. When we say to paint the tracks, it also means to paint the ties, especially before doing the ballast. So I started painting each tie, being very careful to the ballast. The mainline ties will not be painted, just weathered. Next will be the weathering.

IMG_4603.JPG

In the mean time, enjoy the GMD SD40-2 Ontario Northland heading to Hawkesbury.

IMG_E4606a.jpg

Hawkes - that bottom photo is an excellent scene!

One comment on the quarry, however; a quarry is an open pit mine. There would not be a shaft going into the rocks. Being super picky here but you may wish to rephrase?

With a quarry, the rock is taken off the face and usually processed some ways, with saws, crushers, explosive charges. When the extraction enters into a formation (like with a shaft), then it would be a mine. However, an open pit mine could possibly be called a quarry.

Dave LASM

Hawkes - that bottom photo is an excellent scene!

One comment on the quarry, however; a quarry is an open pit mine. There would not be a shaft going into the rocks. Being super picky here but you may wish to rephrase?

With a quarry, the rock is taken off the face and usually processed some ways, with saws, crushers, explosive charges. When the extraction enters into a formation (like with a shaft), then it would be a mine. However, an open pit mine could possibly be called a quarry.

Dave LASM
Thanks for the info Dave.
I guess I should call it "The Quarry/mine of ???" don't have a name yet.
As per the engineer for the company, they halted the quarry and found that it was more valuable to mine it. (it's my story and am sticking to it....LOL)

Back