Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

I'm BACK
Went on vacation and came back with a man's cold which lasted a bit more than a week, therefore another delay.
BUT, now that all the walls have been painted, wood is in, work as now began on the new layout.
I'm only 52 days of my supposedly starting date, but things should be on a roll now.

Little things left to do, but nothing urgent. Still need to put molding along the ceiling edge and my wife will still use her space till till April/May, besides, I have lots to do before reaching her area.

Here's a few pictures to get you started.

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

This is the area I will be concentrating to start with. I know I should be starting with the first level (staging level), but since it's at the other end and includes my wife's office, it can wait.

I also need to get updated with all your latest post, it's been almost a month since I've read any of your updates, will be doing so in the next 2 weeks.

Later all.

Last edited by a moderator:
This layout looks like it will be a great one , I look forward to following it as it moves along . I feel your CP steam pain .....

Hawke,

Welcome back and like Jim, I am also keen to see your layout come to life. As LASM said, let the fun begin but also let the frustration build :D

Thanks everyone, yes the fun as begun, as for the frustration Tony, hope not.
Got some appointments this week, so it might be a slow week for the hobby, but the frame work is coming along

IMG_1431.JPG

Does this look familiar or somehow close to someone's work?
Hint: Blue wall and frame work

Ken's (D&J Railroad), he gave me such great help and ideas with his thread on how to build my framework..thx

Later all

Last edited:
LOL! I need some of that blue! My angled supports go to the floor and are a bit robust allowing me to stand on it if needs be, but my shelf is lower, an upper shelf has always been on the back burner. The excitement of setting a 'deadline' was a great deal of fun for me and I hope you make it! Keep us updated!

Seriously, what exactly is that color? I may just do the ceiling with it.

Thx new guy,

My layout is at an average of 43" and the widest part along the wall is 24", but the long wall is only 15". My angles are screwed to the 2x4 at every 16" with 4" screws, it's very sturdy.
As for the blue, it's called "Soft Blue"

Later

Manage to do a bit in the last 3 days. I've got about 20% of the frame work done and about to run out of 1x4, should be getting some next week. The peninsula you see, still needs to be secured to the rest of the layout, than I will be starting on the long peninsula. This layout is so much better than my first try, I have lots of accessibility everywhere on the layout, there's no place I can't access.

To diversify my work, I'll be working on buildings (in a box) and bridges (from scratch), will post when I get started

IMG_1434.JPG

Later

Last edited:
Hawke,

It is looking great! Not sure if it is the picture or my eyes or intentional but, are the last three supports on the right side (southern end) higher than the others? If they are, that is great "looking ahead" thinking.

Hey Tony, nice of you to drop by.
The 4th to 8th are 2" lower because I'll have a lake and a stream with 2 bridges.
Yes I did plan for it and I also have some a little bit higher because of grade change.
All my frame work is an inch lower because all my plywood under my tracks will be sitting on extruded pieces of wood attached to the frame so I can play with elevations easier........ hope I explained it ok
Will definitely have pictures when I get to that stage.

Later

Hawke,

Fully explained and a great way to go I think. I have just been reading your thread from the start again and was wondering if you had done any more thinking on your "wiring" for the layout, not the least whether or not to use "Power Districts"?

I don't know how accurate this will be but I wouldn't worry too much about having "power districts" (per se), especially if you are not "electrically conversant". I would think that just having feeders every 3' would provide you with the wiring requirements for constant power around the layout as well as simplify your wiring work.

The idea of having "power districts" is to narrow down where any problem that arises maybe BUT, it is also to help with automation of the layout for signalling etc. If you are going to be the only one, or the main one, operating the layout, then I doubt you will need "power districts" as such as you will know what trains are running where and how. The argument for having power districts for identifying where a "fault" maybe is also questionable in my opinion. If you simply install feeders every 3' (give or take) and a section of your track work looses power (for some reason) you will know that it is probably due to a faulty feeder, and that can be only one of two - one of the feeders either side of where the failure has occurred.

All I am suggesting is that if you are like me and not confident, or proficient, when it comes to wiring, the less wiring you have to do the better.

With regards the question of whether or not to use a booster, I would say that it isn't needed especially if you have an NCE Power Pro 5 system. That "should" run 5 engines (with sound and lighting) without too many (if any) problems. Again, if you will be the only or main person running the layout then I can't see you running more than 5 trains at once, if you do, you are certainly a much braver man that I gunga din :)

The reason I am bringing this up is because you are getting to the stage where you should be thinking about your wiring, where it will go and how much of it you will need.

Anyway, as said, everything is looking great and am looking forward to seeing the start of the track work build.

Hey Tony, you're to fast...lol
I was going to ask those questions later when I get to wiring, which should be in about 1-2 months.

The main reason for "power districts" was for shorts and the "booster" was for the size of the layout.
I'll mainly be the only one running the trains, but I hope many will pop in to do some operations, I first need to see if any locals have the same interest.

Later

It's been a week and I'm happy with the progress so far. I've completed the frame work on all 3 walls, almost done with the small peninsula and started on the big peninsula, but will need to get my wood to continue. For now, I'll start working on the flat surfaces that will be under the tracks.

Here's a picture of the updated framework

IMG_1437.JPG

Here's a quiet video of the framework so far

[video=youtube;OxfFl1mewPk]

Later

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, but the bigger the layout, the longer it will take to achieve....lol
I told my wife that it's a 7-10 year project for now

Later

Thanks Jim, but the bigger the layout, the longer it will take to achieve....lol
I told my wife that it's a 7-10 year project for now

Later

TOO TRUE! Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it! I have ROOM and it is a mixed blessing. Being able to reach all areas was the main consideration for me knowing the layout would take many forms before it is 'done'!

Don't worry too much, run your power 'by ear', I've got over 300 feet of track down and just one feed, I run 5 or more DCC loco's regularly w/sound and my searchlight cars all at once with no noticeable glitches. I am a stickler for cleaning the track and having good connection with the fishplates! Shopvac the layout up and down once a week and keep those rails shiny! Only after adding ANOTHER 80 foot loop with the elevation did I notice ANY 'slowdown' at all and I'm pretty sure that was just from 'dragging' crap cars that will not roll up a 2.8% grade!

Back