Hate Athearn's Flimsy Handrails?

That's not the first one I've seen that you could surf the waves on the handrails. That darn Celcon, anyway!:rolleyes:

on that youtube video from athearn about the gevo's, they mention "all new plastic handrails". Is this something better then the celcon?

And I dont think athearns are as bad as IM's.

on that youtube video from athearn about the gevo's, they mention "all new plastic handrails". Is this something better then the celcon?

And I dont think athearns are as bad as IM's.

I think the reference was being made to whatever was on the old Tower 55 version of the GEVO. As I'm sure you know, the Athearn GEVO is a reincarnation of the Tower 55 shell which Athearn acquired from OMI. I've never seen a T55 in person so I don't know what the handrails were made of.

Well, Athearn thinks that celcon is a better material for handrails. I guess the good news is that the celcon is more flexible and less prone to snapping/warping. I don't know enough about this material, which is also referred to as an engineering plastic (whatever that means). The downside is that it cannot be glued with normal plastic cement (Testors, etc.). ACC will work. Special paint is needed to adhere to this stuff or I believe there is some kind of primer available (Micro-Scale?) that will aid in painting this stuff.

Now, this may be one of those wild Internet myths, but I read somewhere that this stuff has a memory. Should you encounter a warped handrail, heat with something like a hair dryer and the rail should revert to its original shape. Pop it in the freezer and and you should be good to go. Please note, all the usual disclaimers apply. I have never tried it. I only posted hoping maybe one of you would try this:):)

Egad, I saw the above on this site:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29914
The post is by Mark R.
They're coming from the home to get me soon. Sorry Mark!

Last edited by a moderator:
my son has to replace his handrails on his atlas gp-40 & he cant find any on the atlas site soooo who makes replacements??? anybody got a link?? thanks

Well, Athearn thinks that celcon is a better material for handrails. I guess the good news is that the celcon is more flexible and less prone to snapping/warping. I don't know enough about this material, which is also referred to as an engineering plastic (whatever that means). The downside is that it cannot be glued with normal plastic cement (Testors, etc.). ACC will work. Special paint is needed to adhere to this stuff or I believe there is some kind of primer available (Micro-Scale?) that will aid in painting this stuff.

Now, this may be one of those wild Internet myths, but I read somewhere that this stuff has a memory. Should you encounter a warped handrail, heat with something like a hair dryer and the rail should revert to its original shape. Pop it in the freezer and and you should be good to go. Please note, all the usual disclaimers apply. I have never tried it. I only posted hoping maybe one of you would try this:):)

Egad, I saw the above on this site:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29914
The post is by Mark R.
They're coming from the home to get me soon. Sorry Mark!

That image really made me laugh, and funny you posted this; I'm going to try and get it to 'remember' it's shape later on tonight; I'll let you guys know what happens!

my son has to replace his handrails on his atlas gp-40 & he cant find any on the atlas site soooo who makes replacements??? anybody got a link?? thanks

Hi, me again.

http://www.atlasrr.com/hoparts.htm

Reading the info at the top, it seems you can ring them to ask about a particular part. Use the diagram that came with the loco or use the PDF for it on the list, then locate the part number.

Note that they say they are still putting up all the information, so call and ask them might be the thing to do.

Atlas: ph 908-687-0880

Back