Has anyone experienced shipping delays with Fedex smart post?

Blues909

I ordered a Stewart DS-4-4-1000 from Trainz off ebay . First it was to be here on the 12th then changed to the 21st now it's the 27th . It's in Chino,CA and it says Fedex smart post so I assume this is where the post office picks it up to deliver. Chino is about 30 miles from me yet you can't pick it up there. Each update I get and the closes it gets the delivery window extends. It was shipped on the 4th. It will be over three weeks if it does get here on the 27th.

I got two items shipped this way yet it was before this corona thing. Both from IL one took 6 days one took three but this is really out there somewhere in the ether. The seller didn't offer any other options and it said USPS priority then once the tracking popped up I saw Fedex then looked at the details and saw smart post. I tried calling fedex waited over an hour and just as I gave the tracking number I heard silence the dial tone now if I try it's busy like they took all the phones off the hook. Never had issues with Fedex ground or UPS or USPS. I read UPS also uses the same sort of hand off deal yet it's called something else. I called USPS and was told fedex drops off the package to them yet I also read USPS picks up from Fedex. I have no idea how this all works other than it does not work very well.

Fed Ex Smart Post is where its shipped Fed Ex , then handed over to the Post Office for "last mile" delivery . UPS has "Super Saver ?" something like that.

The problem I see is Trainz is out of Buford , Ga. not Chino , Ca . , So something doesn't sound quite right ... Anytime it says Chino , Ca , that usually means its out of an Amazon? warehouse . I know there are some kind of problems out there because I ordered some stuff out there last week Fed Ex Smart Post and it didn't even make it out of California before it was handed over to USPS.

The Govenor out there may not be allowing them to transport anything thats not "essential" , The post office gets its marching orders from the Feds. Fed Ex being private may be restricted by the state gov.

All I know is it didn't make it 5 miles before it was handed over to USPS.

Google : california restrictions on shipping non essential

They maybe playing pass the parcel with your stuff.

Fed Ex Smart Post is where its shipped Fed Ex , then handed over to the Post Office for "last mile" delivery . UPS has "Super Saver ?" something like that.

The problem I see is Trainz is out of Buford , Ga. not Chino , Ca . , So something doesn't sound quite right ... Anytime it says Chino , Ca , that usually means its out of an Amazon? warehouse . I know there are some kind of problems out there because I ordered some stuff out there last week Fed Ex Smart Post and it didn't even make it out of California before it was handed over to USPS.

The Govenor out there may not be allowing them to transport anything thats not "essential" , The post office gets its marching orders from the Feds. Fed Ex being private may be restricted by the state gov.

All I know is it didn't make it 5 miles before it was handed over to USPS.

Google : california restrictions on shipping non essential

They maybe playing pass the parcel with your stuff.
Yes it was send from Buford ,GA then it made it from there to Bloomington left Bloomington and ended up at Chino on the 13th All the other stops were titled Fedex Chino is titled Fedex Smart Post. It very well could be the Governor in the mix here. I wouldn't doubt it for a second , los angeles is really locked down big time. I'll check out google , thanks.

I checked all I could find on Fedex and couldn't find anything stating they were none essential or that certain types of packages were either. I guess I'll see. There is one more hub in Los Angeles as far as I can tell after Chino, perhaps it has to reach that last one before they hand it to USPS.

Last edited:
Shipping as a whole has been disrupted, nation wide. With the exception of Amazon shipping within it's own network. I'm a contractor for Amazon, we are ahead of schedule for most packages. If the Amazon package goes through anyone else's hands, UPS, USPS or FedEx, all bets are off.

I'm waiting on a package from the USPS. it was last seen in Jacksonville FL on the 7th. Since then the tracking says "Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility." it was scheduled for delivery on Monday the 11th and I still can't say where it is.

"currently in transit to the next facility" is an automatic message that is generated by USPS tracking they havent actually scanned anything . Usually it means that its in a container sitting on a back lot somewhere , or stuck in a rail yard .

I did order some stuff last week from FL and CA via UPS and Fed Ex both arrived on time. I did notice that when I ordered from two different vendors Via UPS , it seemed UPS held up one for the other to catch up ? Maybe there trying to limit the contact for their employees ? who knows .

Last edited:
I looked up the tracking on the Stewart DS-4-4-1000 , it left the Fedex in Chino on the 14th the date is still the 27th and the info has been sent to USPS , whatever that means , guess it's on it's way to USPS. So far what I get on Amazon usually comes in an amazon truck or Fedex and some times UPS both ground and many times USPS guess it depends where it's shipped from of if it's a third party seller who does free shipping through Amazon Prime.

That sounds like they,re putting it through a 14 day quarantine.

It certainly does and they are putting me through the pissed of mode. I was told by USPS that Fedupex drops it off to them. All I see is
Shipment information sent to U.S. Postal Service
BELL GARDENS, CA.

We have all seen this crap when anyone ships anything , it hangs there and there is a map. It left fedex Smart Post in Chino yet there is nothing to say what the above actually means. I can't say if it somehow lands in USPS hands at some point in time and Bell Gardens is not the post office branch my mail comes from it has to reach the Los Angeles USPS whenever it does reach Bell Gardens. By the time they are done tossing the package around the loco might make it to me in one piece. I asked the shipper to pack it well.

My wife and I placed an order from a company in mid April. At the time their website said “We’re still shipping in 3-5 business days!” Well, about two and a half weeks later they finally shipped the first of three packages. Scheduled delivery was May 13th. On the 13th, according to tracking info, it had finally arrived at our local hub, but it has sat there ever since.
Yesterday, the UPS man showed up with another package (ordered the day prior - locally) and I asked him if he happened to have another package for us, too.
He said, “Look, here the deal: We are turning over trailers as quick as we get them. If a trailer doesn’t get unloaded on the day it arrives, it gets first priority the next day. We are swamped. It like Christmas - Without the extra help!”

I thanked him for what he was able to do.

Since you got it through Ebay, go to the transaction there, click "contact seller", and politely ask if it has left their possession yet. It may be sitting on a shelf at the store, waiting for an employee to be able to go there, pick it up, and hand it off to FedEx. Also, the FedEx driver could be driving past the store when it is not open. If it is in California, good luck getting it with all the current restrictions.

Since you got it through Ebay, go to the transaction there, click "contact seller", and politely ask if it has left their possession yet. It may be sitting on a shelf at the store, waiting for an employee to be able to go there, pick it up, and hand it off to FedEx. Also, the FedEx driver could be driving past the store when it is not open. If it is in California, good luck getting it with all the current restrictions.

I left the seller on ebay the day after I ordered it. It was handed to fedex the next day and is stuck here in good ol Calif while it's DC motor gets demagnetized from all the scanning. The item came from Georgia. I don't fault the seller or the Fedex service or USPS . I do fault Fedex support because you get put on hold for over an hour and get hung up on right after giving the tracking # . Perhaps the Fedex customer service people are tired of calls or she pushed the wrong button add to this to be put on hold for so long tells me many people are having issues of some sort.

These shipping companies at the very least put up on the web site what to expect , this would calm thing s down though it might loose them customers. Either way they will loose customers because they are not handling this proper , Just tell people the truth .

Any time that the shipper chooses either the FedEx or UPS service that hands off to the USPS for final delivery, it is subject to exceptional delay, and more likely to be lost...even in the best of times. This is the cheapest shipping mode possible, and you always get what you pay for. Mu gripe is when the vendor doesn't offer an alternative method of shipping for extra cost, or when the shipper charges UPS surface rates, then ships this way.

This, of course, doesn't help the OP with his dilema, but yes, FedEx Smart Post is horrible, and now, its worse. They have all sorts of built in excuses, and governments to blame, for what is an attempt to operate at a lower cost, with fewer people, and no need to placate the end customer.

Any time that the shipper chooses either the FedEx or UPS service that hands off to the USPS for final delivery, it is subject to exceptional delay, and more likely to be lost...even in the best of times. This is the cheapest shipping mode possible, and you always get what you pay for. Mu gripe is when the vendor doesn't offer an alternative method of shipping for extra cost, or when the shipper charges UPS surface rates, then ships this way.

This, of course, doesn't help the OP with his dilema, but yes, FedEx Smart Post is horrible, and now, its worse. They have all sorts of built in excuses, and governments to blame, for what is an attempt to operate at a lower cost, with fewer people, and no need to placate the end customer.

Lost! please don't say that it's like a jinx , I contacted the place I got it from and asked since they have 2 like new used ones never had the handrails or anything else installed if they would please hold one for me if it does get lost . If it gets lost they told me they would refund me the total I paid . I have to wait to see what they have to say. I can't afford to buy another or I would and request a different shipping method like USPS priority which I feel they should have used in the first place.

I have NEVER received an on time shipment that was sent via FedEx Smart Post. With one exception (a fabric supplier SWMBO likes), if the seller only offers FedEx Smart Post, I'll find a different supplier.

The seller said they can't hold an item. They do have 5 used ones so maybe and depending if this new one ends up lost they will credit me as they said they would fast. Other than that take the jinx off please. And if the worst happens I'll tell them do NOT ship it smart anything just use a reliable shipping method. It might get here fine I have 4 1/2 days left.
My wife and I placed an order from a company in mid April. At the time their website said “We’re still shipping in 3-5 business days!” Well, about two and a half weeks later they finally shipped the first of three packages. Scheduled delivery was May 13th. On the 13th, according to tracking info, it had finally arrived at our local hub, but it has sat there ever since.
Yesterday, the UPS man showed up with another package (ordered the day prior - locally) and I asked him if he happened to have another package for us, too.
He said, “Look, here the deal: We are turning over trailers as quick as we get them. If a trailer doesn’t get unloaded on the day it arrives, it gets first priority the next day. We are swamped. It like Christmas - Without the extra help!”

I thanked him for what he was able to do.

I saw your video installing the Genesis motor in a BB Athearn , I commented on it. I thought you were part of The Whistle Stop Model train place in Pasadena ,CA . Guess not.

I saw your video installing the Genesis motor in a BB Athearn , I commented on it. I thought you were part of The Whistle Stop Model train place in Pasadena ,CA . Guess not.

Actually, I didn't even know about that place. Cool! Nope - not affiliated. 😁

The seller of the Stewart DS-4-4-1000 won't hold any item , If the item gets lost they refund. I'm waiting to here how long that takes and how I request a reliable shipping method. So far my item is still hanging Shipping information sent to USPS Bell Gardens ,CA. A--H---s!

The seller or company who sold me the Stewart DS-4-4-1000 decided to hold one for me. Now the racking tracking states Fedex is delivering it to my post office it was updated the 23rd finally. Seller said if it does not arrive by the 28th it's to be here on the 27th they will refund me and I can get the one held for me. I prefer the new one I ordered over a used one that he is holding. Plus I don't know how Memorial day affects all of this.

Back