Hand held hot wire foam cutter

Snowman

I'm going to guess a fair number of you are not familiar with the concept of the hot wire cutter, based mostly on the fact that so much stacked foam scenery--which looks all to often like just what it is: stacked foam...could presumably be or must be cut with a handheld kitchen type knife. Not true at all.

With a DIY device like this, layers of stacked foam can be cut as though they are all one.

As always: I disavow any results you might have from this, or any other similar device/tool, build your own-DIY-or not,

That said, you don't ALWAYS have to sculpt your layers of scenery with a kitchen knife--serrated or not. There are other options ^^^ and tools.

I'm going to guess a fair number of you are not familiar with the concept of the hot wire cutter, based mostly on the fact that so much stacked foam scenery--which looks all to often like just what it is: stacked foam...could presumably be or must be cut with a knife. Not true at all.

With a DIY device like this, layers of stacked foam can be cut as though they are all one.

As always: I disavow any results you might have from this, or any other similar device/tool, build your own-DIY-or not,

That said, you don't ALWAYS have to sculpt your layers of scenery with a kitchen knife--serrated or not. There are other options ^^^ and tools.
I have the wand already, works well.

I prefer a long sharp knife. The hot wire cutters work well, but I found it simpler to just shave away with a long knife.

if you have a weller 100/140 watt soldering gun, all you need is a piece of 16 gau copper wire [like the stuff in your walls] ....bend it to the shape that you want ... by the way, you can solder with this too ..
Ouch, you have 16 gauge in your walls?

This worked OK for me… $22 🇨🇦 From Amazon….
And on the bonus side, I didn’t have to break any plaster to get at that 16 gauge wire….🫣

1F36627C-1A44-4B6E-8939-72FD1A4B2AE0.jpeg

Foamwork. Drywall saw and wood rasp with round side works for me. Generally the saw cuts the big angles and the rasp does the contours and smoothing out cut areas.

Back