HAHA Can you answer this RR question?

He stated that he didn't know why the limit was what it was.
I would think that a professional would know why. Makes it easier to remember the rules.

He stated that he didn't know why the limit was what it was.
I would think that a professional would know why. Makes it easier to remember the rules.
What an ignorant comment. There are THOUSANDS of rules. Literally thousands. There are more than one reason for a rule. I gave 2 reasons. I am a professional, you are a very petty person to leave an ignorant comment on a fun video.

What an ignorant comment. There are THOUSANDS of rules. Literally thousands. There are more than one reason for a rule. I gave 2 reasons. I am a professional, you are a very petty person to leave an ignorant comment on a fun video.
Ignorant huh? Not knowing why a rule is in place can lead to misinterpretation which in turn can lead to disasters.

I watched the video, and knew right away what the answer was.

Single "lite" engine -- 30mph.
Multiple lite -- varies, often is 50-60.

So, in the situation, operating under an "Approach Limited" signal (which requires speed reduced to 45mph), the fact that there's only ONE engine further limits the speed to 30.

WHY this limitation?
Because engines are heavy, and their weight-to-braking power ratio is on the weak side. They can be harder to get stopped if needed.

I'm thinking the 30mph limit for a single lite engine -might- be because of an FRA directive (not sure about that).

A personal experience with lite engine moves:
It was Christmas Eve, 1984. Conrail wanted to clear all their engines out of Oak Point yard for the holiday weekend, as there would be nobody there. So I got called for the job, and put 15 engines (just about all B23-7's and SW1500's) together, and ran them up to Selkirk yard (south of Albany).
That "train" was HEAVY. Good that I had dynamics on about the first 4 or 5 that were "on the line".

Got to Selkirk, caught an Amtrak back to Grand Central (there was no "Empire Connection" in those days).

The O.P. yardmaster had already told me there wouldn't be anyone in the yard when I got back, and to call the cab company and fake myself as the yardmaster to order up a cab from GCT back to the Bronx. Actually, they weren't "cabs", but Lincoln Town Cars. Got back to Oak Point, got in my car, and made it home by midnight!

So, in the situation, operating under an "Approach Limited" signal (which requires speed reduced to 45mph), the fact that there's only ONE engine further limits the speed to 30.

WHY this limitation?
Because engines are heavy, and their weight-to-braking power ratio is on the weak side. They can be harder to get stopped if needed.

I'm thinking the 30mph limit for a single lite engine -might- be because of an FRA directive (not sure about that).

It was Christmas Eve, 1984. Conrail wanted to clear all their engines out of Oak Point yard for the holiday weekend, as there would be nobody there. So I got called for the job, and put 15 engines (just about all B23-7's and SW1500's) together, and ran them up to Selkirk yard (south of Albany).
That "train" was HEAVY. Good that I had dynamics on about the first 4 or 5 that were "on the line".

Got to Selkirk, caught an Amtrak back to Grand Central (there was no "Empire Connection" in those days).

The O.P. yardmaster had already told me there wouldn't be anyone in the yard when I got back, and to call the cab company and fake myself as the yardmaster to order up a cab from GCT back to the Bronx. Actually, they weren't "cabs", but Lincoln Town Cars. Got back to Oak Point, got in my car, and made it home by midnight!

Some of the most challenging trips are light power or power moves as you say they are hi TPOB, especially in indulating territory, you gotta stay on top of it all the time to stay on speed. We dont have that 30 mph restriction, we can go Passenger speed even with a single unit, but we dont go over 74 so we dont trip the over speed for the traction motors to keep them from birds nesting.

WHY this limitation?

Great story.

Bit of a trick question since the answer doesn't actually have to do with the signal indication, but that's also the point - ANY and all other speed restrictions [futher] override or reduce the signal speed, and not the other way around. You can't exceed the LOWEST speed restriction whether due to signal indication, other track conditions, zone speed limits, or equipment restrictions (# of engines, restrictions due to specific cars or loads in consist, etc.)

It would be impossible to know all of the rules from memory, which is why you have to have a copy of the GCOR with you at all times. Although, I always found it amusing that you have to carry the GCOR with you, because it would be impossible to remember all of the rules, but you can't use it for taking the test, because you should know all of the rules.

It would seem that the rules a railroad employee would be most familiar with would be the ones effecting his daily work.
A brakeman wouldn't be so familiar with the temperature required to set a rail wheel on an axel but would be very familiar with the pressure in brake lines of the train.
It seems that an engineer should be very familiar with why a certain segment of track had a speed restriction on it. Is it because of the condition of the rail, overhead clearances, proximity to roads or high pedestrian area rather than just drive through an area not knowing specifically what to be aware of.

Back