Guess I am committed

Lynn , there actually isn't enough room to add 2 more bents . Its kind of hard to see in the picture but the plaster will be applied to cover up the plywood ends and then a retainer of some sort , not sure if it will be timbers or stone. I guess the timbers would actually tie the bridge in better wouldn't they ? Thank you though for the suggestion , many eyes are way better than two.

does anyone know if the tops of the bridges had any sort of walkway or railing ? I have seen pics with water barrels , but don't recall anything else . Surely they must have had a way to access the water?

does anyone know if the tops of the bridges had any sort of walkway or railing ? I have seen pics with water barrels , but don't recall anything else . Surely they must have had a way to access the water?
If you mean access water for the bridge perhaps firebarrels full of water. Doubt if there would be a walkway between two portals:)

I would think for a substantial trestle like the one you have yes, there probably should be a walkway and I would have water barrels too. Its an important link in your system. My trestle is the industrial (cheap, broke butt) sort. No walkway and since fire hazard is minimal here, no water barrels.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I ask because looking down on it from the top , it just does not look correct to me . I may have made the tops of the trestle wider that I should have .

IMG_2228.jpg

I may take some " modelers license " here and add a couple 2x12's on each side just to try to help balance the appearance . Thoughts?

I think you are correct Jim, the tops should have been narrower. Took a quick shot of mine to give you an idea.

IMG_20151115_143531_zpsozvc9u9v.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't normally view it from overhead then I would make a walkway on the front towards the viewer and call it a day. There really is an art form to making a realistic looking trestle. I am guessing that you will be using extended length ties laid out like the main beams (angled). I think that will leave about the right amount of space for a walkway. This is the kind of thing that varied by railroad. The maintenance guys do appreciate not getting run over by a train.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

well just remember as project manager you need to come under budget & on time

My budget was shot the day I walked into my first hobby shop :p !!! As far as viewing goes , when the scene is completely finished you wont be able to view from the top at all . It is at the back of the canyon and another bridge will be in front of it . That's a good point RBMNfan . I do think I need to rethink the top width before making the next one though .

Simply add extension ties outward in between every 5or 6 rail ties and.build up ontop of them , walkway , sand barrels lookout whatever works.

Good job but a little nit

Good job but a little nit

Your center 3 bays(2 bents) are unsound. The beams supporting them are insufficient for the load. The real world would have used a truss arrangement for the center spans and no partial bents.

,,,ken

Ken , not sure I have ever seen an example of what you are talking about . The bridge is definitely not OSHA approved ;)

Tony the distance apart in inches is 1 7/8 . I arrived at that by taking my total span and dividing that by how many bents I thought would look appropriate .

I did a little more work on the trestle and a lot more rock work . I set in in place just to see if it still fit ( it doesn't , but its close ) and how it looked against the rocks . Here is how its turning out so far .

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

Now I need to start a crash course in water falls , streams , and stream banks . I think I have done enough rock work now to reach the rest from the edge of the layout so its time to start finishing . Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome. If I need to fix something , now is the time. I do have short timber retainer walls for each side of the bridge.

Back