Gsmrr

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi everyone. I thought I'd post a few pics from this weekend on the Great Smoky Mountains RR. It was bright and sunny when we left yesterday. :rolleyes:

Runaround in Nantahala Gorge. The rail was rolled at the Ensley Works in the 1911-25. :cool: It was made from Birmingham raw materials in Birmingham. It's cool to have visited the TC&I mines that the ore came from.
4004Runaround%202%20web.JPG

Geep 7 cab shot...
2989Cab%20Shot%201.JPG

Straight down from Fontana Trestle
9338Fontana%20Trestle%20web.JPG

Headin fer the hills.
8058Heading%20for%20the%20Hills%20web.JPG

Bryson City.
3528Bryson%20City%20Yard%20web.JPG

GSMRR offers something for everyone. :D What the heck, it's a N&W repaint, but it still caught my eye!
5800Grande%20Caboose%20web.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
a u boat 28 and a high nose gp30? I didnt know they did that there....

The "crash" is back behind the GSMRR shops in Dillsboro. If you ask nicely, they'll get you to sign an insurance waiver and let you have a look around.

It appears the U Boat crashed because some nut took the brake cylinders off... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. I especially liked that 4th shot of the train entering that cut. Wished I lived closer as it looks like great scenery on the trip.
Tom

Here's a few more for anyone interested.

GP7 ready for the return trip.
9673IMG_0637.JPG

Another view of the locomotive runaround.
417Runaround%20web.JPG

I don't have much in the way of telephoto capability (yet), but here's an attempt to get the distant mountains and their dusting of snow.
785Distant%20Hills.JPG

Little Grande just got home and saw the caboose pics. The first thing out of his mouth (before he read the caption) was, "That has to be a repaint. The Grande didn't have any wide cupolas in that number range". :D

Heeeey what a kid. Sounds like sounds like "grashopper" (LGM) has learned much from Master (GM)....LOL

Awesome! Wish I could get my step-son involved like that but he is 15 ya know how that can be...I tried when he was 8 but because of his ADD it didnt take off. Oh well maybe he will revisit in later life?

how sad is this....sorry Grandeman ...I found this some where from a web the guys credit (the one who took it is on it) A good pic I thought....

how sad is this....sorry Grandeman ...I found this some where from a web the guys credit (the one who took it is on it) A good pic I thought....

That's the flip side from the caboose story, a real Grande unit that's now a repaint (almost)...:eek: Great pic.

Awesome photography, GM !!! That "run-around" shot is priceless.... it reminds me of our trip on the Algoma Central several years back.

Bob :)

Awesome photography, GM !!! That "run-around" shot is priceless.... it reminds me of our trip on the Algoma Central several years back.

Bob :)

Bob, I really glad to hear you enjoyed the pics. I know we had a blast and it's great to share the experience with like minded folks.

Just a couple more...;)

Mrs Grande in our "private car". We bought the regular tickets but, while there was a decent crowd on the train, had our car mostly to ourselves. The rest of the crowd was in the open air cars. Happy 20th Anniversary Mrs Grande!
8524Janie%202.JPG

I couldn't help but take a pic of this little house. There's no telling what it's history is. It was in the middle of nowhere and I snapped it freehand from the moving train. Can you say shutter speed? :D
5153House.JPG

Time for a chat.
743Crew%20chat.JPG

Burning kerosene at Dillsboro shops.
96Burnin%20Kerosene.JPG

Super pics there, and Happy 20th to you both!

As anyone else would say, such a sad demise for the GP30.

Back