Gsmrr

Thanks Josh.

krazyloader, I've got no idea what the GSMRR freqs are. Stop by the shop office in Dillsboro. There are some great folks working for the RR that can help you out.

Ken, Happy Anniversary!!!:cool:

Steve,You're right. The old house would make a great scratch building subject. I love the angled woodwork above the front porch and the center chimney. :cool:

FVL, Thanks. :)

Happy Belated Anniversary Eric , Love the shot of the distant mountains and the little old house is priceless !!

Eric,
First... Happy Anniversary!!

Now, What are you doing riding my train?!?:mad: :D

Nancy and I have seen every site that you have posted here. We are actually leaving on the 30th of this month to go. We stay in Cherokee and will be there until the 11th of May. We go every year around this time.

If you are familar with the area, take a drive on Hwy 19 just west of the Nantahala Outdoor Center. There is a parking area on the right just before the turn for Nantahala Lake. Park there and walk up the stairs and the up the embankment and you can find this:
HPIM0575.jpg

HPIM0578.jpg

This is where the passenger trains don't run and the GSMR hauls goods to Andrews from Bryson City. Most folks believe that the GSMR is only a tourist line. I guess you also know that this is part of the Murphy Branch that I am loosely basing my layout. Thanks for the pictures... they really get me pumped for the trip. Dave

HPIM0579.jpg

grande man said:
Mrs Grande in our "private car". We bought the regular tickets but, while there was a decent crowd on the train, had our car mostly to ourselves. The rest of the crowd was in the open air cars. Happy 20th Anniversary Mrs Grande!

8524Janie%202.JPG

I wondered where LGM got his good looks!! Nice to meet you MRSGM.

Great pics GM that house reminds me of the movie Misery? With the nutter (Kathy??) who breaks the writer's legs and kidnaps him

Ken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul, Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Dave, Great pics! Ya'll enjoy your trip. :cool:

Ken, It is pretty obvious where LGM gets his good looks. Now his astonishingly likeable personality is another thing...:D

Well, I have nothing to share about our GSMR excursion because it never happened. We purchased our tickets for Monday the 7th for the Dillsboro to Bryson City trip. We arrived in Dillsboro and were greeted by a sign informing us that the excursions from Dillsboro for Monday- Thursday had been cancelled. We went inside and ticket counter guy said they had combined the Dillsboro trip with the Nantahala Gorge trip and it left an hour earlier.

They offered to reschedule the trip, but we had plans for the remainder of our vacation. I actually only saw the train once this year and we were driving at the time so I didn't get any photos. Oh well... I have taken the train trip many times over the last ten years. But we missed last year and were looking forward to it this year.

We did hike eight miles round trip to the top of a mountain!

Look Ma... No hands!!
CIMG1736.jpg

That's a bummer, Dave. :( Why did they cancel the scheduled trips?

BTW, that photo looks like a situation where a gust of wind would be very unwelcomed. ;)

That's a bummer, Dave. :( Why did they cancel the scheduled trips?

BTW, that photo looks like a situation where a gust of wind would be very unwelcomed. ;)

They said it was because it was slow and they couldn't justify running two excursions. The last time we went it was in May... and it was slow. Only us and two other couples in the coach, but they still ran both excursions.

What bothered me is that they never got a number from us when we bought our tickets in case something like this happened. If they had called us we could have gone to Bryson City and caught the train there. We were in Cherokee and that's just about half way between the towns.

Maybe it had something to do with the price of fuel? :confused: Dave

Don't know how I missed this thread. Eric, it may just be me, but I don't see the photos.

:eek: Dave:eek: , are you on a rocky mountain high or something? You better watch yourself or you will fall and break your toe.:D :D
Beautiful Country!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know how I missed this thread. Eric, it may just be me, but I don't see the photos.

Yeah, imagebee nuked all the pics I had hosted there. I guess I got the service I paid for...:rolleyes: Since the thread had pretty much run it's course I didn't rehost the pics.

Back