Greetings

OleSmokey

I ran into Jim aka HO explorer, over at another site and he wanted me to see his thread. So i read all 315 pages of the Pinacle creek mining and timber co. layout. I am learning from that Ole boy. I am new to the site and other than coming around to read his i haven't really checked out the rest of the site. I am currently building the Greenbrier logging and lumber co layout in N scale. I have been at it for around four years and started the actual board this winter. I have made mistakes most likely like everyone else here but learning from them is half the fun. This layout is my fifth but three were in my youth. One i started in 2009 was one of those you learn from mistakes. Boy did i. I have never got to the stage i have which is scenery. I have always got to this point and no farther. This time i have got into it. What fun. Not to much else to say so enjoy. Dan aka Ole Smokey:D:)

Welcome to the forum. You'll find just about anything you could want here on the forum, and if you can, all you have to do is ask. I also belong to a few other forums, but I really find this one the most enjoyable.

I have learned a lot from mistakes. Sounds like an interesting layout. We used to have a thriving lumber industry here in Montana until the environmentalists stuck their nose in. I only have a small area for logging and a lumber mill. If I knew more about it, I may have put a bit more emphasis on it. Post some photos. N scale logging should prove interesting.

Chet

Welcome to the forum. You will find a wide variety of stuff here, take some time to soak it up. Look forward to seeing some of your pictures!!!

Welcome to the forum.
You'll find plenty of stuff here and you'll find a lot of helping people
Pictures and videos are always welcome

Howdy Smoke,

Welcome to the forum. I have not been on here long myself. I am truly enjoying the folks that post and respond. I am learning alot. I like the fact that you are taking your time and asking questions. I am finding that the only stupid questions about model railroading are the ones that you do not ask. These folks are really patient and very good at explaining things. I admire the fact that you are doing N scale. I had a small N scale layout that my Dad and I built when I was younger. However, at the ripe old age of 53...I could not work with anything smaller than HO at this point. And as far as "learning from mistakes"....well....I can take that a step further..... I usually try and learn from my mistakes...but to truly retain the information...it usually sticks in my little brain longer when I learn through "trial and error". And let me tell you..... that can be alot more time consuming and expensive. ;)

Looking forward to reading more of your posts and seeing some pictures.

Thanks for the welcome folks. I really appreciate it. I Will start a thread in N scale. I am using the name of The Greenbrier Logging and Lumber Co. As i can i will post shots to it.

Welcome from the great state of 'Bama! As was said earlier ask any question you need an answer to. There are many, many knowledgeable modelers on here with experience that ranges from just a couple of years to old farts like me with over 50.

Be sure that on the guys that have websites in their signatures, you click on them. There you can find anything from a complete history of their roads to blogs and videos. Everyone here has the same thing in common, we all like trains and we love Model Railroading!

So ask away and someone will answer. Sometimes the answers will seem like they are contradictory, but they are both correct! How you may ask?

There is no one correct way to Model Railroad, or be a Model Railroader! They just solved the same problem in different ways.

G'day Ole Smokey...Love the monniker by the way...Ole Smokey was also the nickname of a much loved uncle of mine..His real name was Harold...but lots of people onle ever knew him as Smokey or funnily enough Ole' Smokey...Still miss him 26 years on...THIS IS THE BEST FORUM...I don't worry about any others because the crew on here cover all bases..Warning though it's SO ADDICTIVE...The knowledgeable , friendly , funny and all encompassing members are the best you'll find and it's awesome to have you come along and join..I'm in Australia (there's a fair few Aussies on here) do US contemporary HO and love it..I see you do N Scale..Good N Scale is a joy to see..Any scale is great but N and Z Scale are really interesting to see done well...Again , G'day......Cheers Rod

Thanks, i picked up the name from my smoking days. I was a chain smoker. Quit in 98 and haven't used since. I also kept it as i love steam and so it just kinda came together. I still use a CB when i am on the road and thats my handle too.

Back