Greetings from Knoxville

Bob T

Howdy...Been doing some reading here, and this sure seems like a good forum.
I joined the other day, as I have a lot to catch up on.

My last attempt to build a layout was in the 90s, but then we moved into a much smaller house.
After I retired, we moved south. Now that we have settled in a bit, I find myself with some possible space for a small layout (finally).

Last week I unpacked several boxes of HO and HOn3 stuff, which includes a bunch of my Dad's stuff.
All DC, mostly from the 80s and 90s.
Did set up a quick test track to see what works, and what needs work. Already having fun.
Thinking I'll work on a couple kits to warm up, while I noodle on a track plan and theme.

Also need to be reading up on all the changes in the hobby over the past 30-40 years.

Last edited:
A couple quick photos of what I am starting with:

Mostly unbuilt or partially built kits.

Test track.

The three diesels on the front most track, were my Dad's. The other engines are mine. The cars are a mix.
The assembled buildings came off my Dad's last layout. Plan is to use them in a town named after him.

Hey Bob! Welcome to our forum. You're off to a good start there. I also name towns after relatives. As Patrick posted, there are still a lot of us in DC, like myself. So ask away with questions.

Thank you all, for the nice welcome.
Yes, I'll be sticking with DC for now. DCC is cool, but I can't see the need with my small space.

As you can see, I am moving along with my track plan... ;)

Hey Welcome Bob! Nice that you joined the forum! Looks like your off to a good start, you have some goals in mind.........👍
I see a couple of Silver Streak & a Tichy kit...I like those kits......😁

Did set up a quick test track to see what works, and what needs work. Already having fun.
Thinking I'll work on a couple kits to warm up, while I noodle on a track plan and theme.
Seems to be a good collection of stuff to start with. Many have started with much much less.

Also need to be reading up on all the changes in the hobby over the past 30-40 years.
I don't know if "need" is the right word. All that stuff will work just as good today as it did in 1991.

Last edited:
Be sure to check out and support Dan's Trains in Powell, Bob.
Randy's a great guy and has a great brick and mortar just north of Knoxville.
Good to hear, thanks!
I found out about his place a couple weeks ago, searching on line.
Just have to get over there during his open hours.

Be sure to check out and support Dan's Trains in Powell, Bob.
Randy's a great guy and has a great brick and mortar just north of Knoxville.
Glenn, just wanted to say I finally got over to Dan's Trains today.
Neat place, and Randy is very nice. We chatted for a bit, and I'll be going back soon.

DC is just fine. The "only" reason for DCC is (a) if you want sound, and (b) if you plan on running more than one train at a time. I have a bunch of DC locomotives, steam and diesel, and was going to stick with DC, until my wife insisted my "choo-choo's" ought to go choo-choo. So I installed sound decoder in my steamers and bought a couple of passenger diesels with sound. As to running more than one train at a time on my folded dogbone layour in a 14' x 14' room, I find walking and chewin' gum at the same time too much of a challenge. Which system do I use? Either. A master DPDT toggle switch on my master control panel lets me choose between either system.

Looks like you have enough stuff for a good start. I would recommend Code 100 for your older equipment, though most of it would do fine on Code 83. Welcome to the Forum.

DC is just fine. The "only" reason for DCC is (a) if you want sound, and (b) if you plan on running more than one train at a time. I have a bunch of DC locomotives, steam and diesel, and was going to stick with DC, until my wife insisted my "choo-choo's" ought to go choo-choo. So I installed sound decoder in my steamers and bought a couple of passenger diesels with sound. As to running more than one train at a time on my folded dogbone layour in a 14' x 14' room, I find walking and chewin' gum at the same time too much of a challenge. Which system do I use? Either. A master DPDT toggle switch on my master control panel lets me choose between either system.

Looks like you have enough stuff for a good start. I would recommend Code 100 for your older equipment, though most of it would do fine on Code 83. Welcome to the Forum.
I prefer DCC without the sound. Yes, it’s cool but I don’t want to hear it all the time. F8 is my favorite button on my Digitrax throttle.

Back