Great Sandhills Newbie

EasyEd1

Hey All,

Total an I mean Total newbie here. I didn't grow up around trains but I did have a roundy roundy when I was 9 or 10 I think. I've never modeled one. In fact I've never ridden on a real train except for a couple train rides around Hamburg Germany and the subway in London England unless the monorail in Seattle or one of the public transportation trains in Vancouver Canada count. Not sure they do.

Now that you know my extensive experience with trains 😁 - coupled with semi retirement an no kids in the house anymore - I'm thinking I want to give model railroading a try.

At first I thought 4x8 but thinking further I could see significant expense an who knows if I'll even like it or I may lose interest an never finish it - who knows I sure don't.

All this said I been looking into it and really like the idea of a small switching layout - like 2x5 or 6. I'm thinking I would learn most of the basics like track plan, laying it out, scenery, operations etc. What I do an don't like doing. I can always bail if it doesn't appeal.

general concept I like the great sandhills railway in saskatchewan as they are a prairie agriculture and energy railroad that leases locos so no worries about line names. I would just take a piece of it to model switching and some scenery. Kind of copying the idea of farmrail.

Does this make sense?

Appreciate any an all input.

-Ed-

A PS: Right now I'm at least 95% in agreement with this farmrail blog entry.

Alex thank you for expressing these thoughts so well.

Last edited:
Hey All,

Total an I mean Total newbie here. I didn't grow up around trains but I did have a roundy roundy when I was 9 or 10 I think. I've never modeled one. In fact I've never ridden on a real train except for a couple train rides around Hamburg Germany and the subway in London England unless the monorail in Seattle or one of the public transportation trains in Vancouver Canada count. Not sure they do.

Now that you know my extensive experience with trains 😁 - coupled with semi retirement an no kids in the house anymore - I'm thinking I want to give model railroading a try.

At first I thought 4x8 but thinking further I could see significant expense an who knows if I'll even like it or I may lose interest an never finish it - who knows I sure don't.

All this said I been looking into it and really like the idea of a small switching layout - like 2x5 or 6. I'm thinking I would learn most of the basics like track plan, laying it out, scenery, operations etc. What I do an don't like doing. I can always bail if it doesn't appeal.

general concept I like the great sandhills railway in saskatchewan as they are a prairie agriculture and energy railroad that leases locos so no worries about line names. I would just take a piece of it to model switching and some scenery. Kind of copying the idea of farmrail.

Does this make sense?

Appreciate any an all input.

-Ed-

A PS: Right now I'm at least 95% in agreement with this farmrail blog entry.

Alex thank you for expressing these thoughts so well.
Welcome aboard! It’s a great hobby:)

Back