Great Northern steam

Empire Builder

Great Northern fanatic
Does anyone know where I could find a HO Great Northern steam loco of a largeish size like a 4-8-2, 4-6-4, 2-8-2,ect....... for a deacent price ($150 or below) with a vanderbuilt tender ?

I'm looking because I would lik one of those IHC great northern 4-8-2 mountains; but it seems that they have discontinued them :( :( & I can't seem to find anything like anywhere else.

BLI does an O-3 Mike, which is prototypical. Though I think it has the standard USRA tender. I think they might have done the Mountain as well (it would be a P-2; radial boiler), but I can't remember.

Beyond that, you're pretty much out of luck, since the rest of the steamers were Belpaire, and most plastic companies don't make those. I don't think I've ever seen an S-2 Northern in plastic....

Kennedy <- GN Modeller

Hey guys, good news!! I found a 2-8-2 w/ vanderbuilt tender on ebay for only $35.00!!! and it is one of those ones with brass details!! :D :D :D :D :D

Lookie What I Got !!!!

Great news!!!! I got that GN 2-8-2 Mikido w/ vanderbuilt tender. It looks awesome & runs GREAT !!!

I will post some pics of it later, because my dad is on a trip right now and he's the one with the camera!! :p :D

Empire Builder said:
Hey guys, good news!! I found a 2-8-2 w/ vanderbuilt tender on ebay for only $35.00!!! and it is one of those ones with brass details!! :D :D :D :D :D

That's GREAT!!!!

more!!!!!!!!

I also have some pics of my figures that were recently painted, but I'll post those later (perhaps tomorow). until then enjoy these steam loco pictures!! :D

Eric, why did you paint that engine green? Just curious!

13.gif
Willis

modelbob said:
That's how GN painted them. I've seen a variety of colors claiming to be GN green, everything from a deep green to almost an apple green :eek: , but typically they're close to the color in his photos.

http://www.greatnorthernempire.net/index2.htm?GNEGN_O1_Class.htm

GN usually painted their locomotives ( including steam & diesel) in dark green, lateter named ''Empire Builder green'' in the diesel era. I don't know where the apple green came from, but I've never herd of Great Northern painting any of their equippment in it.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Empire Builder said:
It is a Mantua 2-8-2 & it was factory painted. :) :cool:

Looks like it's time to put some weathing on that there unit. :p
Maybe also a scuff or two.

Say............
You have any big "HOOKS" to pick that unit up if she comes off the rails and into the dirt??? :confused: :D

Old 97 said:
Looks like it's time to put some weathing on that there unit. :p
Maybe also a scuff or two.

Say............
You have any big "HOOKS" to pick that unit up if she comes off the rails and into the dirt??? :confused: :D

I might weather my equipment someday, but rightg now I don't have the time to weather my stuff, weathering is more of a "someday" thing for me, right now I want to spend my money on a Dash 8-32BHW!! Another ''someday" thing that I'd like to do is expand the size of my layout & put 24'' radius track in, so I can run superliners, viewliners, those tri-level enclosed auto racks, & other stuff that requires 24" track!! :rolleyes: :D :p :) :cool: ;)

a link for the dash 8 (I'm not sure if it will work or not) : http://ebay.com/Dans-Train-Depot_Da...aselZ2765044QQsatitleZDashQ208Q2d40BWQQsofpZ0

if it doesn't work, go to another one of my posts titled:How to repair a loose front truck & click on the link in the 1st post(mine), because it is a link to one that is already up, but the guy has four more locos in the same paint that aren't up, but the link in HOW TO REPAIR A LOOSE FRONT TRUCK will give you an idea of what I'm looking at getting. p.s. I know that one works, I just tested it!! :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Empire Builder said:
I don't know where the apple green came from, but I've never herd of Great Northern painting any of their equippment in it.:eek:

What I meant is that some of the photos I've seen look more like an apple green, while others look pretty dark. I'm sure the film could have faded and the paint etc. It's just interesting to see the variations in what the color is.

Empire Builder said:
weathering is more of a "someday" thing for me,

Just one more reason this hobby of ours is so great!
Projects are like faithful dogs.
They are always there when you're ready to play. :D :D

Back