Great Northern on the Gateway Subdivision

2Tracks

Ol' School
OK, here's some pic's of my layout in progress. This is my first layout that I've built, I'm 3 years into it......HO scale
The room is 12x20 ft, a penninsula style layout, with the freight line on the main deck, & the logging railroad on the upper deck.
I'll start with some of the bench work constuction..........
IMG_2032.JPG
IMG_2035.JPG
IMG_2034.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice start Jerry. 12'x 20' is a nice size area to have. Is there going to be a connection between the two decks or just two separate areas? I have two decks that are not connected and may never be. It may be too late for it now, but if you are able to recess those legs a bit more, you won't be stubbing your toes as much. Don't ask how I know this (older layout 30 years ago).

Willie

The walk thru door is in the middle of the 20 ft wall, this is the liftout I made for it. I used 3 Atlas plate girder bridges..
IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG
On the facia I used the one smooth sideed 1/4" masonite (that's what I've always called), saw kerrfed on the rough side to make the corner bends. The color is my house trim.
IMG_2177.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
All of my turnouts are manually controled with Bullfrog switch machines. On the mainline switches only I hooked up LEDs for position of switch indicaters. Green lined for mainline (normal position), yellow lined for tunout. That way all I have to do is give a quick glance to see which way the switch is lined.
IMG_2186.JPG
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG

I'm using the NCE PH PRO-R 5 Amp wireless system. I've broken the wiring up into 4 individual blocks with NCF EB1 circuit breakers on each block. The auto-reverser is a PSX. These last two pics are pretty much were I'm at now in the build,
IMG_2228.JPG
The incline on the right is the logging line. Those are the track sections with the feeder wires ready for install but I've been working on the bridge crossing in the back ground before I continue any further with them.
IMG_2227.JPG
And one last photo this round......The EMD Demonstrator 103 has arrived in the KF yard, ready to head south at 0740 in the morning........
IMG_2217.JPG

Willie.....Thank you! Yes there is a connection between the two decks. It's the curve at the back of this pic were the track leaves the mainline on the left and makes a curve to the right and starts up the incline. You can just make out the white incline set in the back there. It's a 2 degree incline.
but if you are able to recess those legs a bit more,
Yes I might be modifying the legs, I am considering modifying the layout, would like to ask all here on the forum for some help, but thought I would do that under Layout Design in the project room........
Have a great weekend......

Sherrel, thank you, yes your dead on the 2tracks.....here's a pic of the door into the train room....
IMG_2304.JPG
I ended up getting this A-B Demonstrator set off e-bay, estate sale. They were brand new, had never been run. A few months after that, I picked up two FT A-B sets in the GN livery, same thing, estate sales and, un-ran. The ol' man had died & the kid(s) weren't intersted in having the train stuff.
The Ingalls is interesting, too bad that the only one produced didn't suvive! I would have liked too have heard that baby spooling up to pull a freight consist........

Back