Great Northern 2’x4’ layout-Walthers National Model Railroad Build-Off

I wanted to share a layout I completed as part of the first ever HO scale Walthers National Model Railroad Build-Off that wrapped up July 1st of 2020. Each person or group could purchase a kit and was instructed to build a layout following certain specifications.

I chose the feed and seed “kit” and built a layout based on the Great Northern branchline between Spokane Washington and Moscow Idaho in October 1968.

52486D57-90FD-4E25-948E-950FFA6BF9D1.jpeg

F5BFCDC7-1F7D-4A6B-866F-4C20126EC25A.jpeg
0053C98D-7CEC-40D8-A9DD-A62520B307D4.jpeg

6CEEF6B3-7EAB-4FDC-B1BD-A8525E7F17CE.jpeg

Very nice!
It would be great to incorporate that into a layout later.
I tried to vote but can’t get past the robot thing, I’ll try again later!
Rico,

I still am not sure what my final plan will be with this layout, but I really am happy with it.
Thanks for trying to vote, I know they have had some issues. If you could try again it would be very much appreciated.
Greg Baker

I emailed Walther's several years ago about certain restriction that states have placed on contests and entering them and Walther's is going to make some attempt to change the status quo. If I remember correctly it deals with the fact that the individuals are required to make a purchase from the company to enter the contest, unlike a model builder's contest at a NMRA event.

Greg

Yes I was selected as one of the finalists.
That is great news. The "grain" theme was the toughest competition I think. I've also been talking with Walther's. They said there were sufficient entries to do this again next year. Plus since I am a "Yardmaster" I still get to be featured in the 2021 reference catalog, so it was worth it just for that. I assume you get to do that too?

That is great news. The "grain" theme was the toughest competition I think. I've also been talking with Walther's. They said there were sufficient entries to do this again next year. Plus since I am a "Yardmaster" I still get to be featured in the 2021 reference catalog, so it was worth it just for that. I assume you get to do that too?

Great to hear you will be in the catalog. I assume many of the photos from the contest will be used in catalog. Be curious what Walthers does next year. They also said that finalists are eligible for prizes, but have yet to say if there is anything other than 1st place.

Great to hear you will be in the catalog. I assume many of the photos from the contest will be used in catalog. Be curious what Walthers does next year. They also said that finalists are eligible for prizes, but have yet to say if there is anything other than 1st place.
I would hope the top finalist in each of the 12 categories would get a prize, and then one grand prize for adult and one for junior.

Or were there only 9 categories. Did the juniors have the "team" designation?

My understanding is there were 4 Categories
Youth Individual
Youth Team
Adult Individual
Adult Team

That would make 12 Finalists with the winner in each individual category winning $1000 and the teams winning $2000. I would think 2nd and 3rd would get something, but I have not seen a list of prizes other then the first place prizes.

There is also the People’s Choice Award which all semi-finalists are signals for and is a pillar voting contest until July 31st. There is a prize but it has not been published what it is.

I guess all I can do is keep promoting my entry for Peoples Choice and wait until August 5th for the results.

My understanding is there were 4 Categories
Youth Individual
Youth Team
Adult Individual
Adult Team

That would make 12 Finalists with the winner in each individual category winning $1000 and the teams winning $2000. I would think 2nd and 3rd would get something, but I have not seen a list of prizes other then the first place prizes.

There is also the People’s Choice Award which all semi-finalists are signals for and is a pillar voting contest until July 31st. There is a prize but it has not been published what it is.

I guess all I can do is keep promoting my entry for Peoples Choice and wait until August 5th for the results.
Amazing job! Just voted for yours (have to vote for a fellow GN fan!). I purchased the same kit but was not able to complete it. Hope to go for it next year. Any way you can change the picture they have on the voting page? The ones you posted here jump out at you more.

Amazing job! Just voted for yours (have to vote for a fellow GN fan!). I purchased the same kit but was not able to complete it. Hope to go for it next year. Any way you can change the picture they have on the voting page? The ones you posted here jump out at you more.
I have no control over the photo they chose. The program they are using seems to have some serious limitations. I wish that each semi-finalist had all their photos displayed that way you could really see the layouts.
Thanks for your support!

Back