Grass Mat or Grass foam

I have a 3'x10' N scale layout that I have almost finsihed with the basic track layout. I am trying to decide whether or not to use a grass mat or the foam grass. Anyone used a grass mat (from woodland scenics) and if so, how easy was it to work with both in installation and later in putting in streets, parking lots, etc. Thanks!

I have a 3'x10' N scale layout that I have almost finsihed with the basic track layout. I am trying to decide whether or not to use a grass mat or the foam grass. Anyone used a grass mat (from woodland scenics) and if so, how easy was it to work with both in installation and later in putting in streets, parking lots, etc. Thanks!

I'd suggest that you have the track, streets and parking lots in place before you do the scenery. A coat of latex paint followed by sprinkled ground cover is easy, cheap and effective for realistic scenery.

Grass mat is ok to start with and then go over with buildings, streets, and other structure items. Having said that I prefer to use latex paint as a base and sprinkle on any of a number of products available. (as mentioned by Grande) or paint first and go back with contact cement on the areas you want to work on and sprinkle on that.

I have used contact cement on many things that have bases. It works well on plastic, lead, or wood. And I ignore the instructions use a brush wet with thinner and paint it on and dont let it dry. Sprinkle away. You can get away with pouring it on and shaking off the excess.

Good Luck!! play with something that doesnt matter so much.

from my own experience, the mat was ok IF you don't have multi terrian(SP) changes, woodland scenics, has a road system for their grass mat where you spray the area you want the grass removed and scrape it off with a plastic putty/paint scraper, it looks ok but I am doing the laytex and grnd foam thing on this attempt

I use too foam to immitate grass in scale N. Our Nscale modules are "grassed" with fine turf( for example: weeds etc.) from Woodland. I think the grass mat, may be, will look a bit "out of scale"....
Add some of the results of immitating grass in Nscale..

Yeah... I have to agree with the folks saying to use other scenic materials than the mat. The mat will limit your creative options. Woodland Scenics make so many products that are simple to use that the mat is kind of pointless... unless you were building a simple layout for your kids to play with.

This scene was done with just a little bit of materials. Good luck, Dave
IM000033.jpg

Welcome. Put down a good coat of latex paint and sprinkle thick. Excess can be vacuumed or brushed after you let it dry. Paint color can be a green or a brown depending on the effect you want. Play on a peice of scrap. Go to a paint store and look for miss tinted paint no sense buying new. Think this cover above but oh well this will cover most of it. Good Luck.

Back