Grand Canyon (model)Railroad

I thought members would be interested in this model railroad article
The Santa Fe Grand Canyon branch has always been on my short list of interesting places to model. The Chiefs might get most of the glory but it was Santa Fe's Grand Canyon Limited that was the workhorse of the transcontinental passenger traffic. Running in as many as 17 sections during the holidays in its hay day. The El Tovar "yard" was one busy place. If I was going to model this I think 1953 would be most interesting because of the Boy Scout Jamboree trains that flooded into the park. Probably the only time in history that cars in revenue service from almost every road name from across the country could be seen in one place.

I wish it had more pictures, but it is an interesting article Diane, thank you for posting the link.

Having lived here in Phx since 1968 I have been to the El Tovar by rail out of Williams a number of times while visiting the Canyon,look like another trip to Williams is in order. Lol

Interesting, I see he uses Australian Sagebrush for his tree armatures, can't say I've seen that mentioned in local hobby publications.

Back