Grain Train Build

CambriaArea51

During 2020 Covid our shop had split shifts to keep the whole crew from being out (only 8 of us) which gave me time to build a grain train that I've been wanting to do for a while. Had the cars been buying paint when I could find it and ordered up the decals. First up 4750's, easy to paint, decal, and weather. I had mostly Intermountain cars with different road names.
IMG_4322.jpg
IMG_4321.jpg
IMG_4317.jpg

When It came to weathering it was new to me using powders. I'd played with them some on old Tyco cars I had left over when I was practicing airbrushing. Looking at proto type photos they seem to have some common traits as to where they get dirty and other areas as to age and wear and tear.
Overall these weren't to bad as CSX has repainted many of these and have little weathering on them. So a few I kept on the clean side to so this.
IMG_4387.jpg
IMG_3845.jpg
IMG_3834.jpg

The more I worked with the powders and blended with airbrushing I needed a bit more contrast. By using acrylic craft paint and diluting it with water gave the effect I was looking for. So first I do the wash then powders then bled with an airbrush. A final dull coat seals everything and helps with blending the different hues.
IMG_4763.jpg
IMG_4412.jpg

Next up 4785's, only a few of them the ones CSX got in the Conrail split had NYC patches. A lot of them have been repainted in the CSX tan and have little weathering.
As for the Conrail ones I did I used burnt umber and burnt sienna on the bottom as a wash. Then the sides and ends got a gray wash to dull and fade the car and decals. (the car was dull coated first) Again these are acrylic craft paints.
IMG_3997.jpg
IMG_4007.jpg

I used some powders on the bottom (earth and delta black) then blended with earth paint with an airbrush. At the end I added black patch out decal and the NYC letters on that to the sides and ends. Did one with a gray patch and black letters.
IMG_4391.jpg
IMG_4002.jpg
IMG_4392.jpg

The last of the grain cars is the 5161's. I know that the boxcar logo is on the 5188 and 5201's but I was limited on decals for the 5161's. Basically the same techniques as the others the only difference is the panel ribs have a black streak. This I did with powder (delta dirt from Monroe) and a micro brush, then feathered it out with a soft brush.
IMG_3970.jpg
IMG_3255.jpg
IMG_3971.jpg
IMG_3804.jpg
IMG_3988.jpg

Tom, great pictures and nicely done painting and or weathering on them. I have a tendency to go overboard on the weathering. Glad you didn’t seem to have that issue. Now I have to find the car or similar and keep the picture out while I weather. Thanks for sharing these

TomO

Tom, great pictures and nicely done painting and or weathering on them. I have a tendency to go overboard on the weathering. Glad you didn’t seem to have that issue. Now I have to find the car or similar and keep the picture out while I weather. Thanks for sharing these

TomO
Tom, thanks. I looked at many grain car photos and videos pausing at different cars to see how they weathered. They have common similarities being in a unit train. Where they differ is if there was spillage on top of the car that create rust or black streaks.

Back