Grain Terminal Build

Hello, a couple more pictures as I slowly go forward on this project.

The concrete silos actually are very close to the prototype in color. The 3 head houses are next to be painted. The exposed conveyor system over the wet/dry bins are on the drawing board. The towers to hold those up needs to go back to the drawing board.

TomO

F3B58D67-4E02-4860-A3BE-560007FC8A98.jpeg

On the bench in primer is the drop house. Where the grain, wheat and rice get unloaded by rail and truck and the big silver grain dryer bin.
CB632C8C-06A7-412A-B0A7-C9DAB7E14644.jpeg

Sometimes it's good to sit back and think about what's done, what needs to be done, and anything that might be changed.
BTW when it's done I have about 30 grain cars to fill the grain elevator.🙃

Thanks Tom, 30 cars, yes a unittrain for pickup or delivery. We can work out a schedule. I have 8 now with 2 on order and I figure 2 (or $100) per month the balance of the year.

TomO
C223EC44-4F82-4F4E-8D63-813C8F1E8CBA.jpeg

Still morning as I write this up. I sat at the bench and brought over the wet/dry bin grouping. The lower conveyor is glued down. The motor is under the bin at the end of the conveyor as something has to power it. Today, I will add the electric conduit to that motor, install the meter board and a couple more electrical cabinets.
F4A8715F-F633-448A-BD43-14722F85C316.jpeg

B48B40A9-4435-42ED-9E1B-DDE2BB12E984.jpeg

To be done is ballast touch up, fix the mud splashes under the bins and then add the fiber optics to light the bins up. I am getting there.
The originally intended day of Easter to have the whole complex done was doable but it would have been a rush job. With retirement, Covid restrictions and other modeling to do, there is and was no need to rush.

TomO

Well I am at the workbench doing little detail things like painting some electrical panels, light poles, motors and things.
5B993301-957D-40BD-905C-BD8B7606B706.jpeg

Now that I am back to it the next decent size project is the piping to each wet/dry bin. As usual I will go my own way on this. Here in the 2 pictures I am using the Modern conveyors from Walthers to just figure how much frame work I will be needing. I also will need 3 support towers. The conveyors will be at least an inch above were they sit now connected with piping down into the intake opening of the bins. Enjoy your day. TomO

EC36ACE1-7137-434C-8A2E-BF415636BC8F.jpeg

For those of you watching closely, yes it seems a landing, a couple safety cages are missing. When drilling the holes for the electrical fuse box stand the driller got clumsy.
5D7760E6-93D4-49A4-A613-683DB5A0ED0A.jpeg
4D5FA7A3-9DB4-44E1-865E-9F92D86770AA.jpeg

Hopefully like this
2EE62B4B-3946-4B4A-8D4C-C99C2682D936.jpeg

Tom: I watched some silos being built and they start with the top on the ground and build up by adding sections to the top piece. The top goes up as they add sections.

Greg
Greg.

Thanks, I belong to a couple facebook groups about grain mills and there have some build pictures on there. You tube also has a few builds to how. I found these while doing research for building my complex.

TomO

Just catching up with this fantastic thread - great work @TLOC !

What is this structure with an awning in the forefront that looks like an oil terminal? It looks like it would be perfect for my layout.

View attachment 126092

Sorry I missed this post.

That is the loading facility for the now gone/sold ethanol plant. The part with the awning is for truck tankers. It is the Walthers kit built with no modifications.

Tanker truck loading rack #933-3169

TomO

Well, construction on the Grain Mill complex has come to a halt. I am confused about the purpose of my layout and have taken down portions of it. Nothing sold (strange for me) but I am rethinking. The paper mill, the transload area and the tree tunnel are still intact. That has always been the main focus of the layout and operations.

The grain complex got too big in too small an area. It will be back but in a smaller form.

Thank you to those who followed this build and especially the great comments.

TomO

Hey TLoc, just take a step back and a couple days before you make any rash decisions, the work so far has looked incredible !

Sorry I missed this post.

That is the loading facility for the now gone/sold ethanol plant. The part with the awning is for truck tankers. It is the Walthers kit built with no modifications.

Tanker truck loading rack #933-3169

TomO

Thanks! Your layout looks spectacular. I'm much inspired by it.

Thanks for looking in. The Grain Terminal is in the “I am not sure what to do” mode of building. I did put together the last 4 wet/dry bins I had but I doubt they will appear here.

The layout is in a state of flux as I have to decide how big I really want to expand. The layout space is plenty big and the wife has no real issues if I use it all. To the left or true west of the transload spot I have added another 80’ of framework and single track. The depth ranges from 12” to 24”. From that point it turns south for 26’of frame work and then turns east for 60’ and stops.

This is the grain terminal as it was in May, today it is still under the benchwork in bins
2E9F1DDC-39E3-4999-86A0-1F9F56EAC25A.jpeg

The transload spot is the gravel parking below
3F9D3939-03D8-4E6F-AF0A-5864A2DED379.jpeg

Hello from Wisconsin. I see it’s been since August since I posted on here. The grain Terminal got a shot in the arm on 1/27/2922 when I was asked about my track spacing. Looking at it I had to measure as I had forgotten the spacing and hadn’t even installed one of the tracks.

left is the 2 tall corn bins in premier grey, 2 surge bins and 1 drier, the yellow is primer for unloading shed for trucks on the left and rail on the right. Yard track is next and then the complex.

C5A8076F-1EEE-461A-AB26-FF8531E5DD0E.jpeg

Well, cleaning off some real cowwebs I am back at this but still in no hurry. Working at the bench is easier then at the layout. This is the bench.

D128F950-73EF-4688-B18A-01E6697E9356.jpeg

Measured out the conveyors. Started the roof over the conveyors. I will paint black all sides of the base drywall and then put down the gravel around the building and bins. I have the cladding for the building but unsure if I will use the siding side or paint it as a cement structure.

CE06EC87-C370-4C85-A080-CE13C578E425.jpeg

With too many projects going, pulp car weathering and creating loads, an engine service area with a steel building and cleaning the walls to apply the backdrops ordered.

TomO

Last edited:

Back