Grain Terminal Build

Good evening after a tiring morning of playing in the snow. My hands were cramping most of the afternoon so no work was done today on the complex. I have 1 of 4 need wet/dry bins assembled except for ladders and paint. I put it in position so I can measure for my towers to hold the mechanisms to move grain from silo to silo. Here is a picture:

BAE0E30F-9570-4350-ADA3-CC875E1D26A0.jpeg

TLOC,
I see a yellowish water tower in the corner, did you buy this or make it may I ask?
I had one two streets over from where I lived and would like to have one on my layout.

Gary, the golf ball looking water tower on a tee is a Walthers kit, a present from my now 7 year old grandson for dad’s day. It’s called a Modern Water tower #933-3528 going for $21.00 direct from Walthers. You should be able to find better pricing online. The water tank in front of it is a scratched tank with a inner cardboard tube called sona tubes at HD for pouring cement into and styrene strips to form the facing. The rails are from the parts box. The garage is I think a Rix kit of walls and windows kitbashed together. Those are left over from my old Ethanol plant.

TomO

This morning I had one of those reevaluations. Got an email from a buddy who said I am doing those pedestals for the wet/dry bins wrong. Just slide the lattice pieces in as they click in the middle. He was right, took about 90 minutes instead of a day each. I was attaching them but gluing. Now they are attached and I put a drop of glue in the top joint.

Now working on the final 3 bin assembly of the sides. They also are going together much easier.

someday in February the complex will be painted.

TomO
3FB5EB73-191F-4E9F-A772-389E36E665EB.jpeg

A2B35711-6648-4A54-A110-0A26756ACC61.jpeg

Thanks Guy and BigGRacing.

Its Model Master chrome silver paint hand brushed and then swiped with a large soft brush to even it out. I then airbrush a dull finish which this time is a custom mix that for some reason I can’t locate my notes I wrote. I have tried to airbrush silver and it never worked out for me. I see light at the end of this grain complex tunnel. Still a ways to go.

The guy who does my decals says I need to name this place so he can finish my decal sheet I didn’t know he was working on. Or that I ordered.

TomO

Hello from the grain complex on the Wisconsin River Valley and Terminal RR. The light in the tunnel has not gotten any brighter. I did finally get to the ladders, cages and landings yesterday and glued them together. I then lost interest in anything Model Railroady as my 9 yr. old grand daughter says. Hopefully today they will get attached to the bins.

Thanks for following along

TomO
26FA4373-195E-4283-992D-EE7F8B916C87.jpeg

Gary, the golf ball looking water tower on a tee is a Walthers kit, a present from my now 7 year old grandson for dad’s day. It’s called a Modern Water tower #933-3528 going for $21.00 direct from Walthers. You should be able to find better pricing online. The water tank in front of it is a scratched tank with a inner cardboard tube called sona tubes at HD for pouring cement into and styrene strips to form the facing. The rails are from the parts box. The garage is I think a Rix kit of walls and windows kitbashed together. Those are left over from my old Ethanol plant.

TomO

This water tower reminds me of the village near where I grew up in my adolescents years..... Eagle WI in Waukesha County about 20 miles west of Milwaukee.

1613676126271.png

1613676140002.png

When I lived there. I lived 3 miles outside of the village. The RR line ran through the village past my home a few farm fields away lol.....

The Soo Line ran through there.... MLW and on occasion CNW then there was a short line that ran through there as well. That stretch of lines changed hands/ownership quite a few times. Now I think today its owned by East Troy Short line or Wisconsin & Southern Railroad.

The 1st pic above the tracks run right in front of those buildings about 20 feet from the buildings. To the far left not shown in that picture there was a yellow house that sat up above the the hill/ledge overlooking the tracks. The Erd family lived there many years whom I was friends with.

The line ran east and west from Waukesha along the Fox River all the way to Whitewater, Janesville, Milton a long ways then connected up to Madison.

Last edited:
This water tower reminds me of the village near where I grew up in my adolescents years..... Eagle WI in Waukesha County about 20 miles west of Milwaukee.

View attachment 124943

View attachment 124944

When I lived there. I lived 3 miles outside of the village. The RR line ran through the village past my home a few farm fields away lol.....

The Soo Line ran through there.... MLW and on occasion CNW then there was a short line that ran through there as well. That stretch of lines changed hands/ownership quite a few times. Now I think today its owned by East Troy Short line or Wisconsin & Southern Railroad.

The 1st pic above the tracks run right in front of those buildings about 20 feet from the buildings. To the far left not shown in that picture there was a yellow house that sat up above the the hill/ledge overlooking the tracks. The Erd family lived there many years whom I was friends with.

The line ran east and west from Waukesha along the Fox River all the to Whitewater, Janesville, Milton a long ways then connected up to Madison.

Small world. In September we drove through Eagle, Wi. heading the long way/slow to Hartland. It was one of those we just had to get out of the house trips.

TomO

Closer.

I am adding the landings here is one of 8 done. Also working out the spacing. After I get the landings in, then I have to put in the piping to move the grain as in the 2nd picture below. I have the platforms for the orange or reddish looking blower motors to add.

TomO

6414774C-AF19-46C6-B219-E55E418622D6.jpeg

4F9E46AF-5791-47F7-8177-F6235E276C30.jpeg

James: Eagle, Wisconsin was one of our favorite spots for lunch on our Gold Wing motorcycle rides. We liked the burgers at the corner bar and grill at the right of your photo and remember the horse that got hitched to the post at the left in front of the KM motel. I think the name of the place at that time as Sass's?

Greg

Back