GP68 anyone?

How long do you think this unit will go before Athearn does a model?

Unless EMD can actually sell some, I don't think Athearn will ever do it. OMI will be the best bet. I bet you could make a nice one using Rail Flyer parts though.

I wish the BL20-2 had caught on, that was a cool EMD rebuild. I did build one of those. If I build two more I'll have the whole fleet!

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP68 is basicaly a repowered GP40. Not many external differences from what I read. I have a feeling Athearn might do one of those "good enough" schemes, on a GP40-2.

I want to build one for myself now though, I'm looking for an undec Atlas GP40.

Rumor has it there's a GP7 being done too, earmarked as a GP67.

Unless EMD can actually sell some, I don't think Athearn will ever do it. OMI will be the best bet. I bet you could make a nice one using Rail Flyer parts though.

I wish the BL20-2 had caught on, that was a cool EMD rebuild. I did build one of those. If I build two more I'll have the whole fleet!

I Photorgaphed the whole fleet back in 1997 ish at the NLR Jenks shops. Those were cool units. You got pics of you models?

I'll bet that prime mover picture on the side is the world's biggest decal. :)

This brings up a question I've been wondering about. The last new GP-40 was built in 1971, so the youngest unit is now 37 years old. At what point does metal fatigue start to play a problem with rebuilding? I'm assuming things like the frame are being used pretty much as-built. At what point does failure of a major component become an issue?

so this "new" gp68 does it have the same hp as the other 16-710's? If so thats a pretty powerfull little engine.

I'll bet that prime mover picture on the side is the world's biggest decal. :)

This brings up a question I've been wondering about. The last new GP-40 was built in 1971, so the youngest unit is now 37 years old. At what point does metal fatigue start to play a problem with rebuilding? I'm assuming things like the frame are being used pretty much as-built. At what point does failure of a major component become an issue?
Good question. I'm sure they check the frames.

I Photorgaphed the whole fleet back in 1997 ish at the NLR Jenks shops. Those were cool units. You got pics of you models?

Here's some pics of my model. Please note, this was done before I got an airbrush, so don't mind the heavy paint.

fab-EMD-120-031108a.png

fab-EMD-120-031108b.png

I shared my pics, how about your pics Alcomotive?

Jim, that's not even close to the biggest decal. VIA Rail and Go Transit have done way bigger!

Josh-
The Tundra wasn't a decal, it was painted on to the unit. I saw the AMTK 115 up close and in person.

Back