Gp40 dcc problem

BOOGS

BOUGHT A GP40 MODEL 60302 WITH BAD DECODER........CALLED BACHMAN FOR REPLACEMENT AND RECEIVED A 44915.......THIS DECODER IS FOR A DCC READY ENGINE AND HAS 8 POSTS TO BE PLUGGED IN........CAN I STILL USE THIS DECODER ON MY GP40 AND HOW DIFFICULT TO REWIRE.....OR CAN I FIND AN INSTALLATION MANUAL ONLINE
:eek:

I'm not familiar with Bachmann decoder models but they are all Lenz decoders made under license by Bachmann. I really don't understand your question. If the GP-40 you bought already had the decoder installed, it should just be a mater of unscrewing the bad decoder, plugging in the same wires to the same places on the new decoder, and screwing it back in. If that's not the case, it sounds like you were sent the wrong decoder.

Thanx for getting back with me jim......you may be right.......all i see now is the decoder with a bunch of wires coming from it but i did not unscew the decoder to see if the all connected with pins underneath.......will let you know.......thanx again

jim, i just took my gp 40 apart again and took a good look at the decoder......it is a printed circuit board that is about 1/2 " wide and about 5" long.....the paper that came with the engine said the pcb is a 6031........anyhow.........no place to plug in my new 8 pin decoder.......all wires are soldered on the old decoder........any suggestions

Carefully cut the plug off and connect the wires in the following manner.
Orange = motor terminal 1 (top)
Yellow = rear headlight
Black = left rail pickup
Gray = motor terminal 2(bottom)
White = front headlight
Blue = positive common for both headlights
Red = right rail pickup.

Back