GP40-2 Project

Hawkeye251

I just discovered this forum, from a posting on another forum. After browsing for awhile I realized theres a lot going on here that I'm interested in so I thought I'd join.

I've been posting this elsewhere, so a few of you may have seen it before. I'm working on building a late model GP40-2 from an old BB Athearn unit by removing a lot of the molded on components, adding new parts and superdetailing it. The prototype is Union Pacific 1445, formerly Rio Grande 3129.

Here's my latest progress pic:
progress3.jpg

There are a lot more pictures as well as an ongoing writeup on my website, located here:
http://people.umass.edu/cslemp/

It's really great to see a dedicated Craftsman section in a forum. I'm looking forward to hearing more about everyone else's projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I live people like you, cause I'm the same way... Although your website is WAY more in depth then any or my right ups on construction.

Glad you liked the website... At this point I think I've actually spent more time on it than I have on the model :)... Not really sure if it's worthwhile, but it keeps me motivated.

Haha, that's why I don't really do write-ups of any of my projects. I'd waste too much time programming HTML, and with a full-time job and school, I need all the model rr'ing time I can get!

Thats a great website! Looks like your doin a great job on the Model too.

The only thing I wish you had on the website is the shell ur modifying, and a original shell to show the differences along the way.. but thats just me I like seeing the side by side differences

Fantastic. As involved as it is to document your efforts with your website, it helps to hold your own feet to the fire to get a project finished. I like the format of your website for this sort of thing. Very nice.

There aren't too many of us here into heavy kitbashing that I know of, but I think Josh and I are as much part of the lunatic fringe of prototype modelers as anyone else. ;)

So, welcome! And keep us posted.

4Starcstms said:
Thats a great website! Looks like your doin a great job on the Model too.

The only thing I wish you had on the website is the shell ur modifying, and a original shell to show the differences along the way.. but thats just me I like seeing the side by side differences

I was actually going to do this... but then I was in too much of a hurry to get started and forgot to take a good before picture :).

There are a couple of photo's of the original model, but they don't show much detail. When I'm done I may figure out a way to photograph the model so that it could be easily compared to one of those shots.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I'll post some updates when I get a chance.

A UP patched Grande Geep, a sad day indeed...:D

Hawkeye, this is a COOL project. Thanks for posting it here for us to follow along. We (LGM and I) have come to enjoy deisel detailing projects of our own. So far, they're not complete repaints, just detailing, so I expect to learn a lot from guys like you and Josh.

BTW, your website is awesome!

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. :)

Mors coming soon to Grandeman, I have open time coming, and soon my "own" place, I have SD40R's (BNSF SD40-2), SD45-2, and much more...

I have an SD45-2 project that's back on the front burner again. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for the handrails from Athearn, but it should be under way again soon. Add the 6 SD40-2s I've been collecting Cannon parts for and cutting up, the 3 C30-7s, and the pair of Mopac GP38-2s, and I've got a full bench...

I didn't say anything in my previous post, but kudos to Hawkeye for taking this project to the P87 level. That's ambitious in its own right, nevermind the hacking that will have to be done to the body.

Hawkeye, if you haven't checked out Brian Banna's website before, you might take a look for times when you need inspiration:

http://6axlepwr.com/

He's a madman when it comes to "finescale" modeling.

grande man said:
A UP patched Grande Geep, a sad day indeed...:D

Hehe, I was wondering when some Rio Grande afficionado was going to lament that I wasn't painting it in Rio Grande colors.

I seriously considered it for awhile since it would be more authentic that way, but I plan on building quite a few more UP units and want to get some practice in on the paint scheme ASAP...

Wish me luck on the whole proto:87 thing... I only have room for a very small switching layout, so I figured I'd might as well get the most out of it that I could. Handlaying the track is going to be interesting though :) Thanks a lot for posting that link RCH... that NREX unit that Brian built is a great model, very unique... which I approve of.

Jbaako, I see you use Sergent couplers. have you ordered any of the new EN87 scale couplers that come with a scale draft gear "box"? I'm thinking about getting some, since that'll really just make everything perfect.

Hawkeye251 said:
Jbaako, I see you use Sergent couplers. have you ordered any of the new EN87 scale couplers that come with a scale draft gear "box"? I'm thinking about getting some, since that'll really just make everything perfect.
Well now, actually I haven't! I didn't know they exiested, Frank musta added them after my last purchase. BUT I like the looks, I think I shall order at least 4 sets! And each set is four couplers & 4 boxes, for the same price as the 5 EC87's! So, my Long Runner & F89F flats can have "long" shank couplers (that over hang some :) )

I have to wonder about side to side movement in them...?

Thanks for pointing this out to me!

jbaakko said:
Well now, actually I haven't! I didn't know they exiested, Frank musta added them after my last purchase. BUT I like the looks, I think I shall order at least 4 sets! And each set is four couplers & 4 boxes, for the same price as the 5 EC87's! So, my Long Runner & F89F flats can have "long" shank couplers (that over hang some :) )

I have to wonder about side to side movement in them...?

Thanks for pointing this out to me!

There's been quite a detailed discussion about the new sergents as well as prototype draft gear in general on the Proto:87 board http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proto87/

It sounds like you need pretty broad curve radi but I haven't heard much talk about that since P:87 needs real gentle curves anyway. The good part about limited side to side movement is the couplers should stay pretty much in line for coupling.

Dumb me, I'm a member of the proto87 group and I didn't think of looking there!

Hopefully I get an answer to my questions...

Update 06.31.06

I've made some progress on the model, most notably with the dynamic brake blister and the nose. Lots of pic's and a write-up on the website: http://people.umass.edu/cslemp/, here's the latest progress pic:

progress4.jpg

I need to get some more parts and material before I can continure with the dynamic brakes or the nose/cab. So I think I'm going to move on to grinding the frame down in order to add simulated I-Beams. Anyone have any suggestions for that? Right now I'm thinking about using a metal cutting wheel in my dremel, but I'm not sure if that's the best option.

Chris

Chris, contact me offline and I'll see what I can do about getting you a replacement sanding door for that nose. Also, you might want to read through Brian Banna's step-by-step on the Cannon cab before discovering some of its hidden characteristics the "hard" way. ;)

RCH said:
Chris, contact me offline and I'll see what I can do about getting you a replacement sanding door for that nose. Also, you might want to read through Brian Banna's step-by-step on the Cannon cab before discovering some of its hidden characteristics the "hard" way. ;)
You know, if you're semi-skilled, or semi-patient(sp?) you can assemble one w/o having to read it. I've assembled two, and neither have been bad attempts.

RCH said:
The only way to do it better than that is to mill it.

yeah I know.. unfortunately I haven't got a milling machine :-( I think I'm going to go pick up a Tungsten carbide cutter (or maybe two or three) and carve away until I have two straight beams running the full length. My only concern is that in a couple of places there won't be much material left which could impact the structural integrity of the chassis... I'll post a diagram of what I plan to do before I make any cuts, so maybe we can figure out how to make that less of an issue. While I was reading Brians cab kit walkthrough I also saw the custom frame that he designed. That's what I'd like to do, but I don't think I have the skills, and I certainly don't have the tools to do that yet. Perhaps for the next locomotive though.

Chris

RCH said:

Thanks for the offer Ryan, when I got home yesterday though I managed to sand most of the gunk off the door, so I think it will be ok... the hinges still look fine. It's on there so tight anyway I don't think I could remove it without damaging the rest of the nose.

Back