GP 18 Gears or complete wheelsets.

Smudge617

I've the opportunity to acquire a Proto 2000 GP 18 BUT it has an issue, "clicking gears". A bit of research tells me that these suffered from cracked gears on several runs, opinion differs as to why from poor quality to undersized axles, depending where you look.
So which, in your opinion, is the better option, replace the gears and use the old wheels, or replace the entire gear set, and in your experience which would be your replacement of choice Walthers or Athearn ?

Yup! Athearn gears will work just fine! The problem with the originals was the type of plastic used by the Chinese manufacturers. It either shrank with age (not a long time), or the inside diameter was made too small. It is very simple to change out the gears. Simply disassemble the trucks, pull the wheel/half-axles out from the old gears and install the wheel/half-axles. You will need an NMRA gage to be sure the distance between the flanges on each set are the correct distance apart. Reassemble the trucks and you will be set. Walthers and maybe NWSL also has gears that work fine. NWSL doesn't specify which ones, but if you tell them the model engine, I'm sure they will tell you which one.

Yup! Athearn gears will work just fine! The problem with the originals was the type of plastic used by the Chinese manufacturers. It either shrank with age (not a long time), or the inside diameter was made too small. It is very simple to change out the gears. Simply disassemble the trucks, pull the wheel/half-axles out from the old gears and install the wheel/half-axles. You will need an NMRA gage to be sure the distance between the flanges on each set are the correct distance apart. Reassemble the trucks and you will be set. Walthers and maybe NWSL also has gears that work fine. NWSL doesn't specify which ones, but if you tell them the model engine, I'm sure they will tell you which one.
I agree with Terry and the gear replacement is the cheapest route to follow.

Greg
OK, replacement gears it is, just just need to buy it for a reasonable price now.🙂

Back