Got my E-unit back together

Hutch

In case someone finds this useful, I found a way to do it without fumbling. Requires a rubber band and a standoff and screw. Once I have the 4 finger plate in, I wrapped the unit with a rubber band. I then inserted the jack and opened the side plates enough to get the drum in. I then moved the jack to just below where the 2 finger plate goes and opened the side plates just enough to get the 2 finger plate in and removed the jack. Voila!

Attachments

• E-unit_Rebuild.jpg
    E-unit_Rebuild.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 80
In case someone finds this useful, I found a way to do it without fumbling. Requires a rubber band and a standoff and screw. Once I have the 4 finger plate in, I wrapped the unit with a rubber band. I then inserted the jack and opened the side plates enough to get the drum in. I then moved the jack to just below where the 2 finger plate goes and opened the side plates just enough to get the 2 finger plate in and removed the jack. Voila!
Cool, I am assuming it will be perfectly clear when/if I ever actually dissemble one of these things. We sort of need a quick ref one could just look up O-scale E unit repair in.

This thing is driving me crazy. Every time I think it's good I bring it home and it doesn't work. The motor assembly and drive wheels work perfect, forward and reverse while the shell is off. As soon as I put the shell on I have a short. Did I wire something wrong even though it works prefect without the shell?

One more thing, I got really good at disassembling the e-unit without any special tools or rubber bands. As a matter of fact, I got pretty good at disassembling the drive rods as well. Take it apart, put it together, think it's fixed, bring it home, nope, take it back to work... There's that. I know this much, the e-unit works flawlessly and can start on low settings and putt along nice and slow.

Sounds like it but I'll be darned if I could find it. I just rewired and re-soldered everything the same as it was and it worked. I wish I could have put my finger on the exact problem though.

Sounds like it but I'll be darned if I could find it. I just rewired and re-soldered everything the same as it was and it worked. I wish I could have put my finger on the exact problem though.
could well have been a bad solder joint, when the body was on it likely arc'd onto the chassis or motor, but it's fixed, so now you can run it. :)

It's already been bid on so no turning back. I have been thinking of getting some On30 though. Same track just bigger equipment.

Back