Got a Spectrum Metropolitan skyscraper...Now What?

Myowngod

Pennsy Tuscan Red Blood
I finally got my hands on one of those Bachmann Spectrum Metropolitan building. Now I've seen a lot of versions of this built, from straight forward out of the box, to multi kitbashed like Rod Stewarts MEGA city.
Have any of you built this kit? Any special paint jobs, interior lighting done. Did any of you make it into a large flat or double its height? I would like to see what you guys have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron, There's a few of us Lucky one's that have all of the Spectrum buildings. I'll take some photo's tomorrow of mine. That may help you to make up your mind. Gary has a lot more of them than me. I built mine right out of the box. I added some signs & an interior. I haven't put the lighting in yet. Before you start read all the directions 2 or 3 times. It's kinda hard to get everything straight especially in the upper floors. Just take your time.

I essentially split the building in half, top to bottom, and used one half of it as a background structure in my city scene. In the image below it appears as the tallest structure in the scene, left of center, although pretty much only the setback upper portion is visible above the surrounding buildings. The scene was yet to be finished when this shot was taken.

Jacksboro99.jpg

NYW&B

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love one of them, thats what I look for every time I go to swap meets!

About 3 weeks ago I saw about 3 of them on EBay. I followed the bids for the 6 days & couldn't believe what they sold for. The most I paid for any of mine were $19.00 about a year after they came out. I've got 5 of the Spectrum buildings in my city.:D

Yeah, no way I'm paying eBay prices for it, its not needed, just something I'd like. Same with the Kibri towers...

NYW&B,
That's the effect I'm going for in my city area. Maybe not as stacked up and layered as yours. I've had my eye on one of those Church/Cathedral you have in that scene. I have 2 distinct sections of city, and 1 larger industrial area. I know this is going to eat up a lot of $$$, but if I spread the cost out over a long time I can hack it.

I never knew Bachman even quit making these in the first place.

Bachmann had a hard time selling them when they 1st came out because the price was out of reach for the average modeler. The tallest skyscraper in that series was $119.00 & I paid $19.00 for it about a year later. The rest of them were real high also. They tried for about 3 years to sell them & finally just wholesaled them out to the public. I bought all of the buildings for less than a hundred bucks. I've had'em on 3 diff. layouts. About 3 years ago a visitor offered me quite a bit of money for all of them. I said, nope, cause it would have left a gapeing hole in my city & they were too hard to put together to just dispense them.;)

I had all of the series at one time, got them at a huge discount price. Most are gone now.
As mentioned I also split most of my buildings into background flats or build them on the diagonal to fit in corners.
Great scene NYW&B!

I too, was lucky enough to get the Bachmann Cityscenes buildings on closeout. Here are some pictures of the Trade Tower. I added the hip roof and painted three sides green. The fourth side can only be seen (barely) reflected in a mirror. That side is tan stone with the vertical window areas black. (I was copying the Chicago Board of Trade tower.)

And here's the Metro Tower. This one I completely cut apart to form around an outside corner where the city backs up to my work bench. In the second photo you can see it never touches the ground, I built it up on foam to make it taller. Just have to cover it up a little. Also on the street you can see other buildings in the series. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy the second Metro Tower they had!

Back