Golden White LEDs

mushroom2

Non Rivet Counter
Where do you get your golden white LEDs from? I can only find a couple of suppliers and was wondering where else to look.

Does anyone use them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know how golden they are but here's a few more from google

http://stores.ebay.com/Chi-Wing-LED-product-shop
http://www.sodigi.com/Supplies.htm
https://www.ledtronics.com/DS/L200CW6KB/

13.gif
Willis

Don't forget to get diodes for your leds (to protect them from reverse voltage). Just about any small ones will do.

Thanks Willis, that second link has some.
I don't like the "white" LED's, to me they are just too blue. The golden white are real nice for older stuff while the sunny white are closer to the more modern lights. But besides Richmond Controls and and a few manufacturers (who wanted to sell me lots of 10,000 yikes) I couldn't seem to find them. Even the person I used to get them from at the train shows didn't have them anymore.

Modelmaker, I use a little different current limiting device that doesn't need back EMF protection, but you're right, protect those LEDs.

Anyone else retro-fitting LEDs into their eqipment?

I get my golden whites from my LHS. I have used them in my RDC's and in a couple of the switchers. I also put them in my S2 and 4. I am currently putting them in a RS unit with sound as i can get them to bend to fit where i need them. I use a 1k resistor with each and find that works quite well. I will eventually replace all the lights in my proto units.

I find it very easy to tint the white LEDs using some clear and orange/yellow acrylic.
Just mix a couple drops and coat the LED.

mushroom2 said:
a few manufacturers (who wanted to sell me lots of 10,000 yikes)...

So what did they want for 10,000 of 'em? If they're a few cents each, maybe you could buy them and start selling them to folks...

caellis said:
I find it very easy to tint the white LEDs using some clear and orange/yellow acrylic.

Dang, there goes my plan for Willis getting rich off of that lot of 10,000...

What's that Willis? No, I don't have any idea what you can do with 9,998 worthless LEDs... Sorry 'bout that...

What's that Willis? No, I don't have any idea what you can do with 9,998 worthless LEDs...
LOL gee don't know either unless I could sell them to someone trying to sing " You light up my Life " or a Photog, Hey Rail Photog! would you be interested? Probably not, have to think a bit on that.
Not getting much forum time online, I'll be glad to see the end of next week. Sure don't have time for a LED business, this is the first break today, after next week I'm going into the Dyed ground foam business for myself, hopefully things will be back to normal.
Well on second thought, anyone interested in purchasing a starry night sky for their layout? 9,998 golden white stars. Yup! sometimes it's possible for a fellow to make a buck :D

Cheers! Willis

caellis said:
Hmm. I never got a combination I liked. (Anyone need stained glass paint? :D) But that may have been the trouble. I used that stained glass paint and I usally got yellow, brown or it still looked blue.

I just get mine on EBay. There are plenty of sellers out there and I get mine from Hong Kong. Never had any issues with shipping even though it can take a month. All you have to do is search for golden white LED or warm white LED and you will get a lot of hits. I get 5mm and 3mm along with surface mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use these stores on EBay;
sportsandhome(local US store)

cliffordjames2006(direct from China) shipping takes 2 weeks

On EBay, go to Electronics & in that heading in the search box, type in what you want.

Wow, a 5 year old thread brought back to life, old threads never die :D

I did see this post "Don't forget to get diodes for your leds (to protect them from reverse voltage)." And just wanted to mention that it's not correct, an LED IS a diode, you do not need a diode to protect a diode, reverse voltage will not harm an LED, it is after all a diode that emits light.

Just wanted to post this info. I recently found info that "sunny white" LED bulbs are good for headlights as well. But I couldnt find any bulk pricing on these.

I need a small golden white led to stick in my HOn3 C&S mogul. I have a MV lense without the metal backing on it, but the smallest from Miniatronics is still to long. I need one with the leads out the back of the body and not the sides. Since this is a brass model and a super small engine as well, insulating the leads is important. if someone make one like the T1 3mm LED but half the size, that would be perfect. I normaly solder one lead to the back of the headlight casting, then insulate the other one and run it back to the motor and a 470 ohm resistor to drop track power down to a proper voltage. Anybody have a source for 3 or 4 golden whites with the power leads going out the back of the package and small enough to fit a HO scale brass headlight casting and fit behind the MV lense? Cheers Mike

I need a small golden white led to stick in my HOn3 C&S mogul. I have a MV lense without the metal backing on it, but the smallest from Miniatronics is still to long. I need one with the leads out the back of the body and not the sides. Since this is a brass model and a super small engine as well, insulating the leads is important. if someone make one like the T1 3mm LED but half the size, that would be perfect. I normaly solder one lead to the back of the headlight casting, then insulate the other one and run it back to the motor and a 470 ohm resistor to drop track power down to a proper voltage. Anybody have a source for 3 or 4 golden whites with the power leads going out the back of the package and small enough to fit a HO scale brass headlight casting and fit behind the MV lense? Cheers Mike

Would fiber optics work?

Back