Going through a total loss of interest!

N

NP2626

I'm going through a total loss of interest in the hobby! Practically the entire month of February both my wife and I had colds that where tenacious in severity and length. Going down into the cold basement to work on the layout; or, run trains was out, during this time! Now, it is actually nice down in the basement; but, I lack interest. I finished a box car I had been working on and it turned out nice enough. I have gone through these bouts of waning interest before and my interest always seems to come back! Generally I have changed what I am focused on and go after some other aspect of the hobby to get back on track. This is the longest, I have lost the spark; now, during the building season! I find that right now my participating here on this forum is more enjoyable than actually being down in the basement and involved in the hobby! I also have many things which I find depressing and depression is the cause of this lack of interest, at least for me. I am depressed over the state of this country and its' seeming inability to compromise and get things done! I'm depressed about the fact that this hobby is loosing the very thing that drew me to it in the first place and that is model building. I'm depressed over the fact that technology is dominating over everything! At almost 68, most of what I took for granted as stability in life, has; or, is changing. Possibly if I where younger I would see some of this in a different light; however, I would still be wrong! There, I've gotten some of it out in the open. Maybe this will help!

Does this happen to you? What do you do to get back on track? I am whimpering right now, I've put the time and effort in and feel I have the right to whimper!

Mark - I tend to go through spurts on the layout. For a while I will be all over a project and then like you I couldn't be bothered to even go in the room.
I think for those of us like you and me that have winter 5 months of the year it can be easy to get depressed. For me I try to work through it by working on other things and trying to get outside as much as possible. Then the urge to do something on the layout usually comes back.

I think we all go through stages of dis-interest in our favorite things when we are sick with a cold. On the other hand, prolonged disinterest in things that we once found very enjoyable could be symptoms of something else. You might consider talking to your primary care person. Don't put it off. Depression can sneak up on you in a way that everything seems to be just a natural thing, when in fact our mind isn't working right. It can effect your health and relationships in dangerous ways.

I actually get that too Mark.
Right now I'm going thru a lot of emotions after getting a whack to the noggin.
I have other interests I work on, also a small switching board in a different scale.
I too always return to the layout eventually.

I can appreciate your concern; however, this is not that serious of a situation. It is a simple loss of interest in things that usually keep my attention and something that happens to all of us at times.

I think we all go through stages of dis-interest in our favorite things when we are sick with a cold. On the other hand, prolonged disinterest in things that we once found very enjoyable could be symptoms of something else. You might consider talking to your primary care person. Don't put it off. Depression can sneak up on you in a way that everything seems to be just a natural thing, when in fact our mind isn't working right. It can effect your health and relationships in dangerous ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark: I fully understand what you are saying. Loss of interest happens. Outside events and unfulfilled expectations do affect us. it comes and goes.

I might add that just because the direction of the hobby is directed toward ready built, doesn't mean you have to follow the trend. Interest comes and goes, and my interests conflict, Hard to work on a background structure, while watching a hockey game on TV.

I wouldn't let it worry you, your interest will come back. A far as outside events, this weeks burning crisis is next weeks forgotten memory. Today's orchestrated political theater, for example.

Boris

I go through bouts of complete disinterest in the Hobby on a regular basis...yearly, sometimes multiple times every year.

Ditto here too. Even after watching 630 and 4501 all weekend and Monday too, I still don't wanna go play trains. I have too many hobbies anyway. At 62, Its time to sell off the stuff I don't really care about. I'm a big audio buff but I'm also thinking of selling off my record collection.

Im in that funk as well. Recently switched from N Scale to Ho, and have torn the layout down to rebuild, but can’t seem to find the desire to even start bench work. I basically wasted the whole winter doing nothing, and now spring is approaching, and outdoor activities will be starting. I think we all have felt what you’re going through at some point.

I feel it too, sometimes, Mark. I regularly read one of the on-line model rail magazines. Some issues make me want to dive in and work on my layout. Others seem chock-full of electronics (that I choose to remain above my level of knowledge) and I quickly delete the issue. It appears most of us have an ebb and flow in our modeling interest. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. (This from someone who's layout looks pretty much the same at it did 10 years ago. :D )

I think we probably all go through this. Back in the late 80's I don't think I went down to the train room for over a year because I couldn't get any model railroad supplies except when we took road trip. Now I have a bunch of projects sitting on my work bench, but when I do go down to the train rrom, I just end up running trains instead of working on the layout.

Mark, you have a problem common to almost any hobby or activity. I go through periods of no interest and have no direct no attention towards model railroading, the cabin or the computer.

To cure my model railroading blues, I watch my collection of model railroading videos for inspiration. At the cabin I have a series of railroading and model railroad videos in a collection that usually sparks my interest.

Also as a "fix", I purchase something new for the layout, like an engine (which I don't need), rolling stock or tools.

Hang in there.

Greg

I have gone close to a full year with no zest for anything important to me in the hobby, except on forums. I have learned not to rue it. It's a natural rhythm that is probably akin to occasional bouts of insomnia; sometimes you got it, other times you don't. Spring, especially when you have to get serious about pruning before buds open, and have to start clearing the earliest patches of weeds, is where I begin to feel a tug toward other obligations and interests. It's just not something I get down on myself for. The hobby can wait.

I'm a big audio buff but I'm also thinking of selling off my record collection.
That is a scary thought. I don't know if I like that thought. Unfortunately, I lost my CD-4 decoder a few years back and cannot play my quadraphonic albums anymore. I'm going to have to fix that unit one of these days. My vinyl will be the 2nd to last thing to go, right before the railroad books.

FWIW, Mark, I've been in a quandary regarding scales, and which parts of the hobby do I enjoy the most. I like to run trains, + do things like paint fantasy or freelanced schemes on different rolling stock, but at this point, I feel like different scales are better for each. Add to that, I've built up a large stable of locomotives and rolling stock in one scale over the years, however my wife likes the larger scale, where my collection is smaller, but growing. I feel at times its two steps forward, and one step back, which is not the best way to make progress.

Work at times isn't the most satisfying experience, at times, which depresses me, along with much of the news of the day, and longer term trends, or concerns that face the country, that the politicians seem to have no interest in addressing. And in the last several years, each successive group of politicians seem less and less interested in the common good, or seem to be dumber and dumber.

Getting back to our hobby, for a long time it was place holder for me. These days, I can't even seem to make a decision as the scale, or trackplan for what I want to do. Its caused me some anxiety over the last couple of years, as I've tried to make progress on what I thought was an excellent concept, and modeling opportunity, given the space I have in many ways is beyond my wildest dreams. On the other hand, not having the ability to focus my efforts on a single concept and scale, even with the room I have, it doesn't seem like enough, which I realize is foolish.

For me, this has meant that within the last week, I've thought that maybe the best thing would be to take a break from layout designing and building, and consider other ways to enjoy or be involved with being a railfan, vs, being a model railroader. Maybe joining a club, or a historical preservation group, and working around real equipment or railroaders might give my modeling efforts a new impetus. I'm not looking to be a collector or kits that sit on the shelf, never to be built, or run, but I haven't put together more than maybe 1-2 building kits in the last 10 years, and still have unfinished projects from 10 years ago, sitting in boxes. I want to start downsizing things I know I'll never use regularly, as I feel like they deserve to be run, or built.

So, that's where I've been at, several times over the last couple of years, + right now too.

You can add me to the list as well ... sometimes the hobby just doesn't seem worth the effort and becomes more of a "task" than an enjoyment or a source of relaxation and leaves me with the feeling of "what's the point".

Often though, when things go astray in our real lives, those things impact the less important things such as hobbies and interests. Becoming ill is one of those things I think. Only good thing I can add is that we normally bounce back and the hobby, the trains draw us back and things get back on track ... until the next time.

WOW otiscnj, I'm a simple piker compared to how things are for you! My absolute best wishes for you!!!

FWIW, Mark, I've been in a quandary regarding scales, and which parts of the hobby do I enjoy the most. I like to run trains, + do things like paint fantasy or freelanced schemes on different rolling stock, but at this point, I feel like different scales are better for each. Add to that, I've built up a large stable of locomotives and rolling stock in one scale over the years, however my wife likes the larger scale, where my collection is smaller, but growing. I feel at times its two steps forward, and one step back, which is not the best way to make progress.

Work at times isn't the most satisfying experience, at times, which depresses me, along with much of the news of the day, and longer term trends, or concerns that face the country, that the politicians seem to have no interest in addressing. And in the last several years, each successive group of politicians seem less and less interested in the common good, or seem to be dumber and dumber.

Getting back to our hobby, for a long time it was place holder for me. These days, I can't even seem to make a decision as the scale, or trackplan for what I want to do. Its caused me some anxiety over the last couple of years, as I've tried to make progress on what I thought was an excellent concept, and modeling opportunity, given the space I have in many ways is beyond my wildest dreams. On the other hand, not having the ability to focus my efforts on a single concept and scale, even with the room I have, it doesn't seem like enough, which I realize is foolish.

For me, this has meant that within the last week, I've thought that maybe the best thing would be to take a break from layout designing and building, and consider other ways to enjoy or be involved with being a railfan, vs, being a model railroader. Maybe joining a club, or a historical preservation group, and working around real equipment or railroaders might give my modeling efforts a new impetus. I'm not looking to be a collector or kits that sit on the shelf, never to be built, or run, but I haven't put together more than maybe 1-2 building kits in the last 10 years, and still have unfinished projects from 10 years ago, sitting in boxes. I want to start downsizing things I know I'll never use regularly, as I feel like they deserve to be run, or built.

So, that's where I've been at, several times over the last couple of years, + right now too.

Interesting thread, I am stuck at a different crossing (pun). Completed layout 12 x 14 that caught the attention of a magazine. You know that thing that has real issues. To me was an ultimate goal, not strive for but a humbling surprise, to be recognized.

Time passed, and now I want to start a new empire, however want to model in HO. The current layout sits idle, because I cannot figure out how to sell what I have. Don't obviously want to take a bath selling. I have the itch, but at this juncture no way to scratch it.

As to being depressed by the new world we find ourselves living in ............. Not for me there are many good things that have ben and are being accomplished with more to come.

Real things that matter to real people, that work everyday, living honest lives following the laws set forth. Not sure about others, buy I'm personally sick and tired of watching the clowns, circus and swamp. And if you have kids, what a frigging mess the so called education (indoctrination) system has become. The parents are getting sabotaged by it, send the kid off to the institution. The children come home with glazed eyes, and a total lack of common sense.

greg

So, my Cart came yesterday and has to be built and modified for my intended use. I have my interest back at this point to get after this project.

Per Steelwheels: "As to being depressed by the new world we find ourselves living in ............. Not for me there are many good things that have ben and are being accomplished with more to come". My depression is caused by myself! However, for me I am in this hobby for the "MODEL BUILDING" part of it and really for no other reason. Yes, some models still need to be built; however, no new companies that I know of have brought any rolling stock or locomotive kits to the market! Even if there are, there are many more new companies that are only producing RTR stuff. Also, what I really enjoyed was putting together Locomotives and there are no new locomotive kits available what-so-ever. So, it's my opinion that this part of the hobby is dying! You like RTR stuff, great! If kits had not been the norm for many, many years, I would not be in this hobby!

I just don't get why some people think we should all drink the Kool-Aid and be happy about the direction the future is heading! One size has never fit all!

So, my Cart came yesterday and has to be built and modified for my intended use. I have my interest back at this point to get after this project.

Per Steelwheels: "As to being depressed by the new world we find ourselves living in ............. Not for me there are many good things that have ben and are being accomplished with more to come". My depression is caused by myself! However, for me I am in this hobby for the "MODEL BUILDING" part of it and really for no other reason. Yes, some models still need to be built; however, no new companies that I know of have brought any rolling stock or locomotive kits to the market! Even if there are, there are many more new companies that are only producing RTR stuff. Also, what I really enjoyed was putting together Locomotives and there are no new locomotive kits available what-so-ever. So, it's my opinion that this part of the hobby is dying! You like RTR stuff, great! If kits had not been the norm for many, many years, I would not be in this hobby!

I just don't get why some people think we should all drink the Kool-Aid and be happy about the direction the future is heading! One size has never fit all!

I'm reading this in disbelief, the point made was missed. Further more reading this tells me I miss understood your point.

"I like RTR stuff?" I'm sitting here looking over my shoulder trying to figure out where that came or comes from? Are we trying to have a contest who builds the most, getting ready for a throw down of layout pictures? lmao.....

The only Kool-Aid being consumed is in that glass you're holding.

Cheers,

greg

PS: " no new companies have brought any rolling stock or locomotive kits to the market"

Many would find that too complicated, lack the talent, drive or desire to step up to the challenge, sad but true

Back