Go Away Green

boatwrench

Disney uses a paint in their theme parks called "Go-Away Green". The purpose is to blend items such as lamp posts, queue railings and other types of equipment boxes into their surroundings. A trick on the eyes, so you don't notice that the object is present, it has gone away. After surfing the net about go away green it appears there are 3 shades. One website had paint codes from the various manufacturers that closely matched "Go-Away Green". After purchasing a quart it was applied to the wood frame that holds an N scale layout used for brushing up on my scenery techniques. The paint is the same in both photos, just the lighting is different.
IMG_5812[14739].jpg

The above is in sunlight coming through an open garage door. The below photo is garage lighting only and closer to one of the shades of Go-Away Green.

IMG_5813[14738].jpg

The concept of "go away green" is to blend it into the background. That implies that the background has some of that green in it. If the background is reddish brown rock then there is nothing in the background to "blend' into. I used a similar medium green color on my previous layout fascia, but have gone with semi-gloss black on the current one.

The use of color can be very effective.

Flat black is another color (or absence of color) that is used to make items disappear. Items like support columns, pipes, support legs when painted flat black the eye will not see that item as if it disappeared.

Gloss and semi-gloss paint will reflect light as well allow surface defects to be magnified while flat black hides these defects.

Back to Go Away Green.

My company sent me to Disney University to attend the educational seminars at Disney World which focused on the "Landscape Magic" and exactly how Disney accomplished the effectiveness of Disney's attractions and physical elements of their parks. Now, I wish that I kept all the brochures and training materials that I received during the seminars. I remember best at the entrance to EPCOT Center, the barricades they used around a area where a broken underground pipe was being repaired. I recall the first day the barricade was in place during the day and at night when the park closed was when the actual repair work was being performed. Three days later the repairs were completed and the landscape restored to its original form.

The barricade was painted Disney's "Go Away Green" and even at four feet tall and 12 feet long, it was nearly invisible and your eyes were attracted to the flowers and bushes around and behind the excavation, not the barricade.

Go Micky!

Greg

1631567321842.png

The difference between semigloss black and flat black is that semigloss will not show scuffs and fingerprints the way flat black will.

Back