GN O-4 Mike in Glacier Green

Espeefan

Here you go: Just finished this one last weekend. The Glacier Green scheme is challenging to paint, but this one was worth the trouble. The model is a brass import and had to be completely disassembled to do a proper job.

Alan, nice model and a superb paint job. You even got the red on the cab roof right, with the black extending part of the way over the roof curve. I did a few of these in my younger days, but they didn't come out as nice as yours.

Very Nice Alan! I ALWAYS hated doing GN. Like you said, had to be completely disassembled. Sometimes those domes were soldered on!

Hey CJ!

The domes weren't soldered on this time, but those stinkin' sanding lines were! :mad: Had this one in work for quite a while. So many small soldered on details that it took forever to do a neat job! His next project is a green boilered SP Atlantic. Remember the green boilered Pacific I did? Like that one. The good news is it's a PFM A-3, so the detail level will be manageable. This mike was an early Sunset, before they went to the Prestige series. Loaded with tiny, delicate details!

BTW, you can't see them, but added details:
Cab to tender deck plate
Steam line on tender
Cab curtains
Chains from the lift bars to the couplers
Replaced the whistle & bell pulls with thread & added stanchions & eyelets.
Window glazing

Sheesh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey CJ!

Replaced the whistle & bell pulls with thread & added stanchions & eyelets.

Sheesh!

Thread??? Haven't you tried unwaxed dental floss? Take as many strands out to make appropriate size, paint and twist while wet. It works.

That is one nice engine!
7.gif

Hopefully, I will be getting one of these in about 6 months:
http://www.broadway-limited.com/bli...romanletteringparagon2sounddcdccho-1-1-2.aspx

I may need someone to paint it.........

That is one nice engine!
7.gif

Hopefully, I will be getting one of these in about 6 months:
http://www.broadway-limited.com/bli...romanletteringparagon2sounddcdccho-1-1-2.aspx

I may need someone to paint it.........

The ad says "premium caliber painting" I strongly recommend you get a painted model vs an unpainted one. They may not even offer an unpainted model. Most brass importers are painting everything that comes in.

Not that I'm discouraging business, but what you'd pay for a painted model as opposed to what you'd spend for an unpainted one plus commissioning me or any other custom painter..well, lets just say you'll save a ton!

The labor is a killer, as the whole model has to come apart right down to the frame, and parts for these are nowhere to be found. If I break something on a customer's older brass model, I can fix it. Power train components are readily available from NWSL, as are springs, hardware, axle stock, and so forth. These newer models...not so much :(

I'd say a typical paint job for that 4-12-2 would cost you in the neighborhood of $325.00-400.00, and that's just a (conservative) guess. (Thats from me or any of several other painters I know) The Glacier green scheme on that Mike up there was even more expensive. About half of the cost in any project is labor to disassemble & re-assemble everything, de-bug, and so forth. I generally look at a model when it comes in and let the customer know if something is there that changes the basic pricing framework. Also, it's pretty common for estimates to be in the plus or minus 20% range. If at all possible, let the factory do it for you. :) If you are still determined, pm me when you get the model, and I'll be glad to offer you a quote.

Back