GML model train controller, DC walk around operations

logandsawman

My new train controller features walk around capabilities, shows off very nice slow speed control.

The first part of the video will show operations with a Bachmann and Bowser unit. The second part shows instillation and hookup.

Thanks for Watching!

[video=youtube;-oSjC1zHZuU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSjC1zHZuU[/video]

Nice video Dave. You did forget to mention that there is a thumb wheel on top of the hand control for adjustable momentum. The slow speed control is so good on the GML that I really don't need to use it. I face mounted mine into the facia with a set of meters for Volts and Amps.

My Atlas locomotives with the Kato drive ( and a few others ) can crawl so slowly you can darn near time it between ties with a calender. There aren't many of us left still running DC only, but I would recommend this throttle to anyone.

Nice video Dave. You did forget to mention that there is a thumb wheel on top of the hand control for adjustable momentum. The slow speed control is so good on the GML that I really don't need to use it. I face mounted mine into the facia with a set of meters for Volts and Amps.

My Atlas locomotives with the Kato drive ( and a few others ) can crawl so slowly you can darn near time it between ties with a calender. There aren't many of us left still running DC only, but I would recommend this throttle to anyone.

Thanks, Chet. I wrote a couple places about the "delay" function on the top (that is how my wheel is labeled) but did not understand it so it didn't get mentioned. That must be the "momentum". I will have to play around with it a little.

Thanks for the review and video Dave. As I mentioned in another thread, I am looking to replace my current walk-around memory throttle that is second-hand. Chet had mentioned some features that you showed in your video that may have made the sale for me. The "large" stereo jack and the slim uncluttered throttle are the two main features that I like. I have a question regarding the remote plug-ins. Do they each need to be wired separately or can I "piggyback" from one to the next? My furthest remote would be about 50' from my control panel so it looks like I can use the reels of 18 gauge wire that I already have on hand. As Chet said, "There aren't many of us left still running DC only", so it is good to see products still being made for us.
Willie

There also is a 20' cord for the walk around advertised in their brochure, I would have chosen that one but I did not look at all their products (sometimes I get excited like a puppy leap ahead). After using the product I realize that it is probably not a good idea to put too much sideways pressure on the jacks by stretching the cord out all the way.

Also, suitcase connectors could be used to simply wire one jack to another one behind the layout. All the wires do not have to go all the way back to the base station.

walk around.jpg

There are 3 wires that go into each socket, since I have 2 cabs there are two sets of three wires.

I've had one of GML's DC hand held throttle just like yours for close to 20 years. I've never had one problem with it. A nice feature I didn't see you mention, is you can unplug the hand held throttle and your train will continue on until you plug the hand unit back in and give the train another command. There is also a 3 position "Pulse" switch which might improve the slow speed of your locomotives. I converted to DCC operation about 15 years ago, so my GML Unit has been relegated to running my Turntable, which it does admirably. This is indeed an excellent product. At the time I was converting to DCC, I put in some remote locations for plugging my DCC hand held throttle into and at that time. I thought I would still like to operate some DC locos at that time; so, also installed remote connectors for my GML handheld throttle at the same time, however, DCC has taken over train operations on my layout. The wiring for those remote connectors is exactly like what you have shown in Post #6.

Thank you for reviewing the GML DC hand held DC throttle. More people should be aware of this great product.

Back