GML Enterprises has went out of business.

chessie_system3

Found out this morning that GML Enterrpises has went out of business. I dont know if this is old news or not. I know it's new to me. I havent seen any mention of it anywhere. However I recieved an email first thing this morning from Marion Lewis that due to health issues they are unable to take orders. Also to be advised the GML Enterprises is out of business. Now their website is still up. This news sucks for me as I was originally going to order one of their throttles. I had seen nothing but good things about them and their slow speed control looked really good. It's sad news for us DC modelers for sure. I'll attach the copy of the email I recieved.
20210106_141231.jpg

Hi Justin,

I hope he makes an attempt to let someone else take over. I really like my GML throttle with the walk around function. Makes for a very simple operation.

Dave
We can only hope. Aren't you the one who posted a video on their throttles? Had the real slow speed switchers running. Then a second portion for the install. Needless to say it was the video that sold me on them.

I have been trying to get intouch with Gene, I have an RC-3 unit I wanted to send to him for repair. Will wait to see what transpires. I should have added that this unit is 25 years old and never given me a bit of trouble!

Last edited:
We can only hope. Aren't you the one who posted a video on their throttles? Had the real slow speed switchers running. Then a second portion for the install. Needless to say it was the video that sold me on them.

Thats right, I made the video with their throttle. Chet has one, too, and told me about them in the first place. I am glad I have mine!

Dave

Dave- I remember Chet had told me about them when I was looking for a walk around throttle a few years back. He had advised me that they were pretty pricey. I mean their rover which is what I was going after was around $60 as a base price. I think I had one spec'd out at around $80. I stumbled on your video recently in an old thread and I was sold. I messaged them and well that's the response. So yeah kind of a bummer. I guess you can say that's how it goes sometimes.

Well I guess its official. GML Enterprises website has been taken down. I had it bookmarked and accidentally went to the website on accident and all that shows is 403 forbidden.

Hi Guys, I too am disappointed - I purchased a walk around with memory from GML about this time, 2018, as I began planning for a small N gauge layout. Whilst I have a DCC controller, I am not prepared to fit decoders to my collection of N gauge locos and I am not sure I need DCC for a small home layout.
I do want cab control, and I tried to contact Gene to purchase a second walk around with memory.
Like others, I have not had a reply. Sad news !
So, whilst the layout is small 2.4m x 2.4m (8' x 8') in the shape of a C, I want a second walk around controller to enable two operators to run the trains. My staging is on the back of the C and cut off from the layout with a viewblock backdrop and I have a empties in/loads out coal mine/power station feature which will benefit from a walk around thottle.
Does anyone know of electronic plan for a walk around DC controller with memory ?

A bit more poking around on the Forum, and I came across a post about Varipulse 821 Walk Around PW throttle with memory !
There is reassuring blurb about motors NOT overheating using this tech. Sounds as though there may be a solution to replacing GML Ent. sadly NLA walkaround with memory.......

These things happen. Most products brought to market, have a limit to how long thy will remain available/marketable. I'm unsure what happened with GML, I'm retired (strongly recommend) and can see this being a problem if the business can't be sold. My guess is that Gene knew a bunch of stuff about his products that is pretty much lost technology in todays world. Given the inroads that DCC has made into the hobby, the market for pure DC equipment might be to limited to bring or keep DC products in the market

These things happen. Most products brought to market, have a limit to how long thy will remain available/marketable. I'm unsure what happened with GML, I'm retired (strongly recommend) and can see this being a problem if the business can't be sold. My guess is that Gene knew a bunch of stuff about his products that is pretty much lost technology in todays world. Given the inroads that DCC has made into the hobby, the market for pure DC equipment might be to limited to bring or keep DC products in the market
According to an email I recieved from them they have shut down due to health reasons. DC is all but extinct. I have found that it's getting harder and harder to find anything just for DC. DCC has come a long way. I have been reluctant to switch to DCC. I realize that it's only a matter of time. Old DC walk around throttles are hard to find for one and once found cost as much as a DCC throttle. The fact that Ken Stapleton still sells his throttles is an amazing feat all on it's own. I would imagine the time is ticking on that as well.

. . . Old DC walk around throttles are hard to find for one and once found cost as much as a DCC throttle. ...
Justin, I have a pair of MRC CM20's that have been languishing in my attic for the past 13 years:

MRC_CM20_WalkArounds.jpg

...one of them could be yours for only the cost of shipping. PM me if your interested...

Is anyone interested in my GML RO-3 unit. I am giving away. Pay me for shipping and it is yours. Since my first post in this thread where I thought it might need repair, now I am not so sure that there is anything wrong with it. All it would cost you to find out is to pay me for shipping and you can find out yourself. If interested, PM me.

According to an email I recieved from them they have shut down due to health reasons. DC is all but extinct. I have found that it's getting harder and harder to find anything just for DC. DCC has come a long way. I have been reluctant to switch to DCC. I realize that it's only a matter of time. Old DC walk around throttles are hard to find for one and once found cost as much as a DCC throttle. The fact that Ken Stapleton still sells his throttles is an amazing feat all on it's own. I would imagine the time is ticking on that as well.
I just found out Mr. Lewis has passed away as of late January. It is very sad as I understand he was a very smart man. I own a few of his throttles and meters in use on my N scale layout and was interested in purchasing another. I've been an N scaler for 30+ years and roster over 300 locomotives, all DC, so I have no interest in converting them all to DCC. Just to expensive. I especially liked his pulse width control options as some of my equipment operates best on straight linear DC current. I do hope someone can continue what Mr. Lewis has started.

Yup. I've only known Gene for a short time, but feels like a huge loss to the hobby. From our phone conversations he seemed like a very interesting person based on the fact that I'm very mechanical but electronically illiterate.
I would like to learn more about the Vari-pulse throttles.

Gene Lewis death is indeed a great loss to this hobby. As I stated earlier, I have had his RO-3 DC throttle and it has worked flawlessly for more than 25 years. I am uncertain if it still works as I heard a "POP" and the ON light on the RO-3 was no longer lighting! Since then, I have determined that one of my Atlas Under Table Switch Machines exploded, which I assume was the "POP". My RO-3 needs the main fuse to get to operation. I can't see any other damage. I will give this unit to anyone who want it, if they will pay for shipping. If interested, PM me.

Back