GMD SW1200RSm

I am looking to build a GMD SW1200RS as well as a GMD SW1200RSm. Photo below. Does anyone make this cab or is it going to have to be kit bashed? Has anyone built one before? Thanks in advance.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1680415

Jeff, I can be of a little help on this one. But for the most part your going to have to do a lot of scratch building. Here's the site that you can get the back wall of the cab from.

http://paducah.home.mindspring.com/sw14.htm

You'll notice you'll still have to cut out 1 window to make it a perfect match. The back step area is from an Athearn SW7, or you can just build the complete kit this man offers and use the Cannon parts he lists. But you'll have to add the equipment doors on either side of the lower cab. I do not know where to find any of those # boards. I could use a few myself!!!

Thanks for the link. I'm starting to get the feeling that this project is going to get expensive fast.

Jeff, it would be a bit expensive for the parts alone. You could start with an Athearn SW7 cab and sill and a GP7 for the hood. The frame is an Athearn SW1000/1500. The expense comes in the cab, tank details, and number boards I think.

I kitbashed one of these "SWeeps" (SW1500 + Jeep) many years ago. All I had as a reference was a small 3/4 front view. After I built the model (of course) I found other photos that showed the different cab back. Mine is the standard Athearn cab. I had an article in RMC on making the conversion (Nov. 1987).

For the conversion I used an Athearn SW-7 chassis and the hood from one of their GP-9's. The detail parts mostly came from a Juneco white metal kit - the horns, bell, number boards, cooling coils on the fuel tank, truck sideframes, rerailer, etc. They were to make an SW1500-RS. They are no longer available though.

Note the dynamic brake fan on the roof has been removed, replaced with two exhaust stacks. I found out this was the way they were after I completed my model, and went back and re-did the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, I bought these 3 engines from a gentleman up there also. He must have gotten the number boards back when they were available. I think these are pretty correct for the SW1200 CN used.

101_0519.jpg

Thanks for the info guys! After looking into some of the CN rebuilds, they are engines that I want to attempt to build.

Thanks for the link!!!!!!!! I found the parts I needed as well as some other ones I can use.

Stephen, thank you for that. I wouldn't have thought to look there. That will be a very helpful bookmark for some of the more exotic engines I come across.

You're welcome guys! MIN parts aren't as fine in detail as Cannon but they fill in a large gap in Canadian detail parts.

Here's the one I built (and kept) I built 2 of them, this one from an Athearn

models002.jpg

and one I sold from a P2K. They use Miniatures by Eric detail parts. This one was built with a Cannon cab.

Point 1 models made a beauty resin kit of a SW1200rs that does pop up on Ebay from time to time...it is worth it to scope one of these out!

Athearn's are easiest to build, using their flexicoil sideframes, but the body has incorrect louvers and carbody door handles. The SW1200rs had knucklebusters, not handles. The body on the Athearn's is too wide, but the Miniatures by eric (MBE) numberboards fit the wider body and are too wide (but modifiable) for the P2K. P2Ks need you to modify the trucks to accept the flexicoil sideframes.

P2Ks are better runners tho, and their cabs are good enough to not need to build a cannon for it...

The earlier RS's (1200s) had distinct numberboards, step stairs and straighter handrail ends.

The later RS's (1300s) had the numberboards that match the MBE and Juneco parts, vertical GMD style steps, and GMD style bent handrails.

There are 2 diff style stacks too, Juneco makes the eary style, MBE makes the taller and later style.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back