Gman & LGM's Most Excellent Adventure, CSX 4 Axle Blow out!

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
It started as a trip to get a haircut about a mile from home. Since, the place was packed (and is one of those girlie get your nails done and a tan haircut places, sorry LRF :D ) I figured we'd head north to Cullman, eat a bite, hit the LHS, and get a haircut. Good decision. While eating at some Mexican "hole in the wall" restaurant, I noticed a few boxcars parked on the spur behind the parking lot. As we took a few pics we saw them in the distance, two locos sitting idle by the CSX line shack. Upon closer investigation, what we saw delighted us. A GP40-2 MUed to a GP30 slug! Bingo! Even though it's a dreary day, we had to take a few pics ;) and also shoot a passing freight and the old L&N station. Here's what we saw:

WooHoo! a 30!
120730119.gif

Left side,
120730116.gif

Front,
120730117.gif

Right side,
120730122.gif

Classic Consist,
120730118.gif

Northbound freight passes by. Note the ditchlights still flashing from the crossing. That's the old L&N station to the left. All I did was turn around from photographing the GP30/40.
120730123.gif

Here's the Station. As you'll see in the next pic, it was built in 1913.
120730127.gif

The historic site marker for the station.
120730126.gif

An old 40 footer being used as a shop/storage shed.
120730129.gif

BTW, I did finally get the haircut after we picked over the LHS! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
What? You didn't get your nails done???? Hmph. :D

Hey, I can see why you guys were delighted! Talk about one-stop fan-fun!

Now those have to be some good shots of the GP30 slug, wish the lighting was better!
Did you get anything at the LHS?

Thanx for getting all those shots of my "namesake"!:D The view of the left side confirms its C&O ancestry with its lopsided cab, just like my N-I-B Proto2K GP30 in CSX paint - now I know exactly what I'll kitbash it into!

CSX_road_slug said:
Thanx for getting all those shots of my "namesake"!:D The view of the left side confirms its C&O ancestry with its lopsided cab, just like my N-I-B Proto2K GP30 in CSX paint - now I know exactly what I'll kitbash it into!

Ken, I was thinking of you when we saw the 30. I was also thinking of Grande trains battling Tennessee Pass with four of them on the lead. If I'm back up that way anytime soon, I'd like to get some "sunny day" pics. Maybe I could do that without getting locked up. ;)

Here's a couple of escaped cons that "had" to get their mugs taken by the GP30.:D Ken, look close under the cab number, it says "road slug". :cool:

Note the CSX engineers hat being used as a clever disguise.
120771881.gif

And the accomplice...
120771947.gif

grande man said:
Ken, I was thinking of you when we saw the 30. I was also thinking of Grande trains battling Tennessee Pass with four of them on the lead. If I'm back up that way anytime soon, I'd like to get some "sunny day" pics. Maybe I could do that without getting locked up. ;)
Eric, if that pair was powering a 'local', you just might get that opportunity sooner than you think. Those units are probably based right up in B-ham (or wherever the nearest CSX engine facility is located). But definitely be careful though, those railmen are skittish having to worry about terrorists and Darwinians...

Here's an idea: You could do a Rand Hood-style Moffatt Tunnel diorama using your '30s, with "snow" on the ground, for the December contest!:cool:

Thanks for the slug pics.I've been looking for good pics ever since I saw my first one.Used to see them all the time but it's kind of hard to take quality pics of a train doing 30 when your doing zero.:)

Hey look guys,it's my second post in one day.:D

catt said:
Thanks for the slug pics.I've been looking for good pics ever since I saw my first one.Used to see them all the time but it's kind of hard to take quality pics of a train doing 30 when your doing zero.:)

Hey look guys,it's my second post in one day.:D

Google CSX 2259 for more cool pics. ;)

Ken, what I've seen online says #2259 is of GM&O origin. Is that right?

grande man said:
Ken, what I've seen online says #2259 is of GM&O origin. Is that right?
By jiggers you're right, Eric! No matter, I'm mainly interested in knowing that the cab on the fireman's side is extra-long, just like the P2K model I plan to kitbash.

Catt - if you're interested in seeing more slug pics, may I recommend:
http://trainweb.org/csxphotos/ - click on "Photos", then "By Model", then "Switchers & Slugs", then "RDMT"

CSX_road_slug said:
By jiggers you're right, Eric!

Well, there's always a first. :D

I just happened to see an online roster today that had it listed as ex-GM&O. It doesn't matter, it's a cool loco regardless of it's origin road. There are some other cool pics of 2259 out there.

CSX 4 Axle blowout

GMan,Upon doing a little research,that station was located on a section of track that came up from Sand Mountain. That particular line was known as the S&NA Division of the old L&N. The main line ran from Birmingham to Hartselle,through Cullman,and continuing north.I only wish I could find more on this station,but my books only cover so much . Great photos there fella.William.:)

Thanks for the extra info William. I'm facinated with the history of such things. The station is pretty cool. It seems so out of place in Cullman.

Back