Glue for track

njthor

What type of glue can I use to glue my metal tracks to the plastic ties. I heard CA is to brittle and I really do not want to use any spikes. Looking for something I could perhaps pick up a a local hardware store. I heard about shoe glue? Any thoughts would be great..
Thanks
Thanks for the response I had a miss print of plastic rails when it should have been metal..

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to glue plastic tracks to plastic ties? Is this for some kind of battery powered train or what? Plastic is a pretty poor conductor of electricity. If you're building some kind of diorama and using plastic track, Testors plastic glue in the brush top bottle will work fine.

I used loc-tite CA to glue the metal rail down to the plastic tie so they would hold alignment when I cut isolating blocks in, then I CA'ed styrene strip into the slots I cut and trimmed them around the rail sides.

Most guys use a rubber type cement to glue metal rail to the plastic ties.
Basically the biggest is a shoe repair cement.
I've used Pliobond in the past with good luck!

Wow, I totally miss read this post. I thought you were trying to glue down track with ties already in place. Like sectional track or flex track. Dont mind me.

Barge Cement is a really good adhesive for metal to plastic. However, it's takes a while to set so you need a good alignment gauge to keep things even. You can use CA, which has the advantage of setting almost immediately, but it is brittle, and can be a problem if you apply too much lateral pressure.

Back