Glossy Coat Before Adding Decals

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
In just about most decal instructions but not all, the instructions call for the decals to be mounted on a glossy clear coat before installing the decals. I have installed decals on both glossy and just the clean models' plastic surfaces without a glossy coat. But in all cases except two, I followed up with a coat of DullCote.

What do you advise about glossy coat or not?

Thanks.

Greg

I have done it both ways and like Ian mentioned, using a decal setting solution will make the decals settle of bith surfaces without any problems. These cars were done on a surface that was given a light coat of Dull Coat.

IMAG0259.jpg IMAG0265.jpgIMAG0261.jpg IMAG0262.jpg

I have mostly used clear gloss under decals. I say mostly because I have forgotten to do so at times. The reason to use clear gloss is so the clear carrier holding the decals together, will disappear when the dull coat is put on. When I spray, the amount sprayed onto whatever I'm wanting to put decals on, puts another layer of paint all over everything. This builds up more paint on the item than I want, so I don't spray on clear gloss. I brush on clear gloss only where the decal will go. Then I put the decals on and spray with Dull Coat. This seems to work well for me. I use a water based Clear Gloss Varnish. I seem to be able to find Dull Coat Spray cans in my local Ben Franklins. I also have a bottle of brush on Dull Coat, so I can brush it on if needed. Unlike most model railroaders, I don't have; or feel the need spray equipment.

This patched car was decaled without a gloss coat, just DullKote following he decal application.

IMG_0468 (1).JPG

Greg

Back