Getting trains off the layout

GDSmith

I've been at a standstill due to a lack of tools/parts so I decided to make a small case for some of my trains and rolling stock. Normally they'd be sitting on the track, somewhere in my way, so this helps me keep things a bit cleaner.

DSC_0048_zps9ce5333a.png

(not sure why this one is washed out, but just a different angle)

DSC_0049_zpsdc28c4f2.png

On my previous layout I built a staging yard which was below the operating layout. It was a run through with track coming down and back up at about 2% grade. The actual storage area was about 40' from end to end and had 8 tracks. I could store quite a bit of rolling stock down there as well as stage trains for operating sessions.

On my previous layout I built a staging yard which was below the operating layout. It was a run through with track coming down and back up at about 2% grade. The actual storage area was about 40' from end to end and had 8 tracks. I could store quite a bit of rolling stock down there as well as stage trains for operating sessions.

I'm already thinking about that as an option for future expansion or a whole new layout (if and when we sell this house and move south.) As part of the 'underground' layout, I want a large (130 scale feet) turntable - for my Big Boy - and roundhouse.

But this keeps the cars off the layout while I'm building

Can this be right ?!?! .. That's 320 feet of track ! WOW!!!
Yes, that's correct. I could store a lot of rolling stock down there as well as several trains for the ops session.
Check my thread in the Layout Design and Construction section for the club size layout I have been building in my basement over the past year. over 6 scale miles of double track mainline, 70 feet of double track intermodal yard, an 9 track 30' sorting yard.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24509

I did something similar in my old train shed, Friend gave me some old brass track to set my stock on , great use for old retired track

Back